Forty Two P. 2

The King paced his study, impatience and a bit of frustration ruling his mood.

All around the King was being prepared for the ball to come. Any task that could be done a few days in advance was being carried out, thus to lighten what would need to be done when the event actually took place. The grand ballroom was undergoing a transformation, swags of fabric were being hung ceiling to floor while selective lighting was being placed to replicate stars in a night's sky. 

The gaming rooms, where guests would play billiards or cards, were also being draped in frothy fabrics, while potted plants were being dispersed throughout the rooms abundantly. Everything was being prepared, all was progressing smoothly, yet, the King had a dilemma. The ball was to be three days from now and he still had no idea what his costume would be. He had enjoyed impersonating a pirate, he wanted something equally as spectacular for this occasion. The King thought over his recollections from previous masquerades. From past experience, the King knew there would be guests dressed as does, and stags, boars and bears. There were usually a good assortment of birds, and someone always seemed to manage to coerce a lesser peer into being the second half of a horse. Though he would like to know exactly how one could become coerced into being the horse's ass. Forgetting his mood for a short moment, he smiled at that last thought. He, for one, would never... The King chuckled softly before returning his attention to his quandary.

Elizabeth had told him his King costume, which consisted of the royal robes, was boring, and, how had she put it... uninspired. Having accused Trent and Moonhurst of close to the same, he could not be found lacking when it came time to dress for the festivities.

Hmmm... What to do... What to be?

He was at least inspired to ask Elizabeth, she had done so well with his pirate garb that he had not even been recognized by most. And while he could not be unrecognizable this time, as he was hosting the event, he still wanted something equally as fine as his pirate costume had been. Upon concluding his business that morning, he thought to have a missive sent out to Shelly requesting Elizabeth's assistance. After eating his noon meal, he had wrapped up his royal business and now he waited, none too patiently, for her reply.

His pacing ceased as he sighed and approached the window. A cardinal alit from a branch, its bright color gaining his attention. Flying out across the grounds, the scarlet bird chose a different tree, one with an obviously better view. The King was instantly reminded of crimson skirts and bright, golden, shining eyes. Musical laughter and a pleasant form joined his musings. She would be at the ball, the golden eyed woman. He knew she would be, as he had gone out of his way to insure that Ashton would bring her. His gaze darting to the door, the King thought he had heard something. When a moment passed uneventfully, and he heard nothing and no one came, his patience lost out and the King approached and yanked on the cord that would bring about his man. Glaring at the portal where said man would appear, the seconds dragged by as the furrow upon his brow grew more pronounced.

The King's man answered the summons within a moment's time, yet, to the King it felt too long, as he scowled at the man and queried shortly, "Has she arrived?"

"No Sire," the man answered, shaking his head, "the rider has had barely enough time to reach Shelly, it will still be a good while before she has time to answer." The man answered regretfully, seeing the frown marring the King's visage. Unaware that Elizabeth was already in town, the King resigned himself to waiting a good while longer. The King waved his man from the room, the man bowing and retreating gratefully while the King resumed his pacing.

"Blast it!" He suddenly exclaimed, coming to a halt in front of his desk. He sighed heavily and looked down at the puzzles lined up along the front edge. Smiling wryly, the King picked up the sphere and rounded the desk to sit behind it. Leaning back, his legs extended and crossed at the ankles, he began with the globe puzzle and slowly went down the line, thus occupying his mind, and his hands, as he bided his time.