Thirty Four Part Two

Violet, Elizabeth, and the King reposed companionably together in the King's study.

Upon he and Betsy's return to the King's private room, Violet had given a detailed accounting of the highwaymen to the King's man.

The man had then left them, to dispatch the additional information, sending even more men to join the riders patrolling the road between London and Marlborough.

Once business had been taken care of, the King suggested to Vi and Betsy a more intimate seating arrangement, their discussion turning to one of a more personal nature

The King relaxed back in his chair, his hands folded upon his lower chest, his legs stretched out and crossed at the ankles, his feet keeping warm before the cheerily lit hearth.

Angled towards the fire, he faced Violet and Elizabeth, as they sat upon the settee across from him.

Now that the King had spent some time acquainting himself with Elizabeth, and this man's crew, the King wanted to gain a deeper knowledge of this pirate his Elizabeth had wed.

The King encouraged Violet to tell him how he became a pirate captain, Violet in turn, recanting the numerous times Ol' Chancey had almost run the Wench aground.

This led to stories of the crew's encounters upon the high seas, Violet recalling the close call with the Barbary ship, also the clash with the Scotsmen that had earned him the Claymore now hanging in the King's collection.

The King asked Violet how he had come upon his skills with swords and rapiers.

Violet's eyes had became bemused, while recanting the sword fight with the Laird upon the Bonny Lass, the amusing amicable ending, and his being gifted with the massive piece.

Now Violet's eyes grew wistful as he remembered a mentor and friend that had left them long before.

"'Twas a Frenchman that sailed under Chauncey many years ago." Violet put an arm around Elizabeth's shoulders, as she cuddled against his side.

The King smiled satisfactorily. The more he saw these two together, the more he could see that they truly seemed meant for one another.

"Michel was a romantic pirate, if you could imagine," Violet's visage became amused along with his memories, "He was a master with the sword, teaching Brutus and I all he could. We worked for hours at the rapiers, until we could at least hold him at bay."

Violet chuckled in remembrance, "After that, he gave us no quarter, until we were both as skilled as he. Then he taught us how to fence for entertainment's value."

Elizabeth laughed, remembering Violet's dip in the sea. The King wondering at her slight blush, as she looked to her lap and recalled helping her gorgeous husband out of his wet breeches that eve.

"I had not thought of Michel in a very long time," Violet grew nostalgic, "He left us in New Orleans long ago, and we have not seen nor heard of him in many years. It was a beautiful Creole woman he left us for. Hopefully, he found what he was looking for in the new country."

Violet prayed that Michel was healthy and happy somewhere, as Vi found he missed the Frenchman. Michel's lute playing, and singing of an evening, under the stars, aboard the softly rocking ship, was a memory Vi had not recalled for some time now.

It had usually been a spot of rum that had inspired Michel on those occasions. Vi could still see the man's face in his mind, as he had sang his sad songs, drunken tears running down his cheeks.

The King sensed Violet's change of mood. He changed the subject, attempting to lighten Violet's line of thought.

"Your mother and Marcus should be joining us soon, I issued an invitation to supper, we should be expecting them any time." The King imparted.