Chapter 45

Y/N

"The moment you step a foot out of this van, you should pretend like you never know me or I never exist at all."

Baekhyun pushed his lower lip out, disagreeing with that idea. We have an agreement that he should conceal being clingy or never talk to me at all once it's time for him to film We Are One, and it will start as soon as we arrive at the meeting place where the boys had been waiting. That's for us both and not just for my career as his manager and him as an idol. I'm protecting both Baekhyun and myself as human beings deeply in love with each other.

"Baekhyun."

"I know... I just don't like the words you chose." he looks outside the window to his side and sigh after that. "I can never pretend that you don't exist, I don't even like the idea that I never met you."

Then he tilts his head back to me and pulled each corners of his lips for a gentle smile. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me, Y/n. And that's something I can't just allow to slip out of my mind."

It was my turn to pout at him childishly. If only our hearts could really melt and vanish when we're being told such words, I would have been long gone for losing mine, as words had always been one of Baekhyun's alluring way to have me swayed only to fall for him deeper.

"Okay, how about you think of this as a challenge instead." Baekhyun cocks his head to the side, innocently waiting for me to continue. "You won't be doing this alone. Let's ignore each other and see if we could stay the same after the challenge."

"I don't understand, my love."

"You know the feeling when you eat too much sweets until you get sick of it?" he shakes his head to answer yes. "Think of it that way. If we were to be too sweet, we'd eventually get sick of it. Not that I don't want you to stay that way to me, my love, it's just a reference."

Baekhyun hums with a slight nod of his head, seemingly getting my point.

"While being away from each other seems to make our moods sour and seeing each other with someone else makes us bitter, it's like a refreshment to restore our cravings for something sweet." a proud smile appears from him along with an adoring gaze, all while I was talking.

"Do you get it? Baek, are you even listening?"

"I am," he answers with an intoxicated voice. "I'm just... Taking my time staring at you before I ignore you."

I rolled my eyes and breathed out a laugh. "When will you stop being so cheesy?"

"Maybe if you stop being so adorable in everything you do?" he leans back to his seat, intertwined his hands and stretch them out to make a cracking sound of his bones. "Besides, I want to win this challenge because the one who talks to the other one first will have to buy dinner after We Are One's filming."

"Deal! I will ace this challenge, you'll see."

We arrived at our destination not long after that and immediately spotted the boys loitering around the area along with some staffs and camera men following some of the artists. Baekhyun was eyeing what's happening outside while the van was backing in to park. From his reflection on the window, I saw how he narrowed his eyes on something or someone from outside. It seemed to me that he found a threat.