CH. 12

Did he really just ask me out on a date? Sakura was speechless as she gawked at her Sensei.

Kakashi sat there, waiting patiently on her reply and she wasn't sure how to answer. Did she even think of him as someone who is datable?

Sakura felt extra thirsty all of a sudden. She picked up her tea and chugged it down in one gulp. Then she grabbed Kakashi's tea and chugged it down.

Kakashi just kept watching her.

Her heart was starting to pound and her hands were getting sweaty. She almost felt like she was about to head into battle again. But that doesn't make sense. It's just her Sensei asking her out on a date.

Why though?

Is he feeling sorry for her?

Does she really look that pitiful?

"Are you just asking me out because you feel sorry for me?" Sakura asked steadily, as her heartbeat slowed down and her anger started to pick up.

She watched him carefully for any signs of lying. Kakashi sat back in his chair and closed his eyes sighing loudly.

"Maa...Sakura-chan. Can't an old man ask a beautiful woman out on a date because he wants to spend more time with her?"

"You're not old Sensei." Sakura didn't see any signs of deceit, so he must actually be interested in her.

"Why now though?"

Kakashi sat up straight and started to lean towards Sakura slowly. He picked up her small delicate hands in his rough, gloved ones, charcoal eyes boring into her emerald eyes.

"Sakura, you are wise beyond your years. You have a heart of gold and fiery nature. Your hair always makes me think of spring cherry blossoms, and your eyes tear into my soul. It took me a couple of years to make sense of my feelings for you after the war, and now I know for once I may have a chance. You always dreamed of being with Sasuke and I've always respected that. Even when it broke my heart to see how hurt you felt all these years, I knew I had to stay away to protect my heart. And you want to know why now? Well, you've finally taken off those rose-colored glasses and see Sasuke for who he is. So I'm going to be selfish for once in my life and ask my beautiful friend out on a date. If all you want is a friendship between us, then that's what I'll give you. But if this between us can be more, then I will take that chance."

Once again Sakura was speechless.

Feeling tears welling up in her eyes, she took a deep breath and slowly released it to calm down. Her heart was about to burst after hearing how deeply Kakashi feels for her. She never knew her friend cared about her that way.

And that's just it. He's more than her Sensei but has been her comrade and friend for a long time. He always had her back and always looked after her heart. Even when he knew that Sasuke wasn't right for her.

And now she knows without a doubt that Sasuke isn't right for her.

Because Kakashi easily told her that he cares about her when Sasuke refused to.

Sqeezing Kakashi's hands in hers, she leaned towards him and said gently, "I'd love to go on a date with you Kakashi."

Kakashi smiled under his mask.

Then they both heard the man sitting at the next table over have a coughing fit and watched him leave the restaurant quickly.

Well, that was odd.