Ch. 26

"FOREHEAD! Why are you not listening to me?!" Ino screamed at her angrily. Sakura couldn't help her straying thoughts of a very sexy silver-haired Hokage.

Face burning in embarrassment, she turned her attention back to her friend, noticing the annoyed look on Ino's face.

"I'm sorry Pig, but I've been busy with work lately and can't always give you my undivided attention. Now, what were you asking?" Ino rolled her eyes and took a seat in front of Sakura's work desk, sighing loudly.

"Listen, I hate to do this to you since we both know that you're busy, and also because I wouldn't want to put you in a position where you'd be miserable. But our Rokudaime asked me to go on a mission that would take me away from the village for a few weeks, but I had to turn him down. I was planning on telling you first, but it seems that you'll be the second to hear this, so don't freak out on me."

Ino covered her face like she was about to cry, and Sakura couldn't help but feel horrible for her wandering mind.

"Ino, just tell me. It's okay." She hoped it wasn't very serious since it's rare for Ino to turn down a mission.

She watched Ino closely, noticing her take in a deep breath, then wipe a few stray tears from her eyes. Sakura had a bad feeling that her friend was going to relay some dreadful news.

"So, you know how these last few months, Sai and I have been dating and becoming close, right?" Sakura nodded her head in acknowledgment. She remembered fondly how Ino and Sai have been with each other, holding hands, hugging, kissing, giggling with each other.

Sakura was jealous of course because she couldn't openly do those things with Kakashi, only when he dressed up as Sukea.

"Yes, go ahead. Has something happened between you and Sai?" She hoped not because they were adorable together.

"No! Everything with us is fantastic! Actually more than fantastic. We're starting a family together."

Wait, what?

"You two are getting married?!" Sakura felt so relieved.

"Well, yes, eventually. But we're going about this backward. What I'm trying to say is that I'm pregnant Sakura." Ino eyed her friend carefully, studying her for a bad reaction to her news. Sakura stared back at her friend, feeling bewildered.

"Ino, I can't believe this! I'm so happy for you both! Let me scan you!" Sakura jumped up excitedly as her best friend cried happy tears, smiling softly as Sakura traced her glowing green hand over Ino's lower abdomen. There it was, a little ball of chakra, sitting comfortably in its momma's uterus.

Sakura felt herself crying, not just for Ino and Sai, but also for herself. Soon, all her friends would start families of their own. Just the other day, she saw Naruto and Hinata together, lost in each other's eyes. And Temari was visiting Shikamaru more often. She was excited for her friends, but couldn't stop the feeling of jealously building up inside her.