Chapter 24: Sanctuary

Nathaniel watched as (M/n) moved and interacted with the things around him, not paying attention to the fact that the boy didn't use his left arm much while dealing with orders

Nathaniel watched as (M/n) moved and interacted with the things around him, not paying attention to the fact that the boy didn't use his left arm much while dealing with orders. He didn't know why, but the urge to smile began to creep up on him  as he continued to watch the (h/c)-haired teen. Resting his chin in his palm to support his head, he tilted it slightly to get his bangs out of his eyes. 

He wondered if they would ever grow closer than they did today. Of course, it's not like he wanted that to happen. Nathaniel rolled his eyes at his useless thoughts before he shifted his attention back onto the taller teenager. 

The small bags underneath his dull (e/c)-colored irises and the twitch of his lips as he frowned at something, his broad shoulders and arms that seemed a little thicker than the beginning of the school semester. Nathaniel's eyes trailed down to the boy's torso before he caught sight of the mangled left bicep that held most of the puffy pink scars. 

His lips parted but no words came out as he looked away and towards the sketchbook in front of him. 

The sketch of the tall speckled teen was rough and messy in a few places but his face was the most detailed part of the drawing, the creases in his eyebrows, the thick rimmed glasses that slipped down the bridge of his nose--and the deep look of sadness etched into his eyes. 

Nathaniel blushed in realization before he snatched up the sketchbook and rushed off towards where the girls were hanging out. (M/n) caught ahold of the boy's arm abruptly, catching them both off guard. 

The taller teen gasped at his aggression and let go of the skinny bicep, his face flushing in embarrassment. 

"S..Sorry.." he stuttered, covering the bottom-half of his face. Nathaniel's eyes drifted from the boy's jaw to his larger hands making him bite his bottom-lip before looking away, twiddling with his pen. "I didn't mean to bore you, if that's why you're leaving.." (M/n) muttered underneath his breath. Nathaniel barely caught it but his eyes went wide when he realized what the taller teen had said. 

He grabbed ahold of the boy's hand, violently shaking his head, startling the seventeen-year-old out of his trance. 

"No! That's..That's not it!" Nathaniel shouted with a small voice, he looked away flustered but quickly met the boy's confused gaze once more. "I--I just don't know what to do while I'm around you! I feel all warm inside and I can't help but not want to hide away," Nathaniel's fingers intertwined with the longer and scarred ones that belonged to the boy in front of him. 

They were both anxious and took things the wrong way, but they both knew what this sounded like. 

Right as (M/n) was about to speak, he heard something creak and a soft thud in the kitchen. 

Letting go of the boy's pale slim hand, he opened the door after brushing past the shorter teen. 

Looking inside with a small peek through the window, he caught a glimpse of golden blond hair and a flash of black in the corner of his eye. (M/n) thought of it as nothing, turning back to the teen who was covering his face in complete and utter embarrassment. Almost on the verge of tears as he hiccuped softly. 

The (H/c)-haired ex-pianist scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, not meeting the boy's vibrant cyan-colored eyes. 

"I'm..I'm sorry, Nathaniel, but I can't reciprocate your feelings. It wouldn't work out with all the shit that I'm going through right now, and I feel like it would only end up hurting you more in the end." the crimson-haired artist flinched at the use of the profanity but he nodded and sniffled. 

(M/n) opened up his arms(his left arm shaking as he raised it) for the boy to hug him. Nathaniel frowned but complied either way, wrapping his arms around the broad shoulders and standing on his toes as the (h/c)-colored long strands of hair entered his vision. 

"Thank you...Thank you so much.." Nathaniel muttered sadly. (M/n) hummed, the sound vibrating through Nathaniel's chest from the contact. They hugged for a little longer before the crimson-haired boy pulled away and grabbed his sketchbook from the counter and smiling up at the seventeen-year-old hesitantly. 

"I'll see you around, (M/n)," Nathaniel echoed his thoughts, (M/n) nodded in return. Handing him his umbrella from behind the counter. Nathaniel looked at him confused before turning around to look out at the rain that sprinkled outside. 

I didn't even realize...Nathaniel thought to himself amazed with his attention span. (M/n) smiled at him charmingly, The crimson-haired artist bit the inside of his cheek. 

That's not fair, he thinks to himself. He took ahold of the umbrella and smiled one last time before leaving the bakery. He would have to apologize to Rose another time for leaving so abruptly like that. 

Don't smile at me like that. I'll get the wrong idea, the boy sniffled, a few stray tears leaving his eyes. 

(M/n) watched the boy leave before looking down at the ground and leaning against he wall. 

"I know that you're there, Adrien." (M/n) voiced loudly. He heard a gasp before a snarky chuckle. 

"As always, you seem to pick me out from the crowd~," Adrien peeked out from the kitchen, walking over to the (h/c)-haired teen and propping himself up on the counter. (M/n) huffed and rolled his eyes, "You saw, right?" (M/n) ignored the model's comment. 

Adrien snorted before looking away and nodding with a frown. 

"He liked you.." Adrien sighed. (M/n) nodded wordlessly, pushing himself off the wall and grabbing one of the cookies from the sample tray and handing it to the model. Adrien took it graciously. 

"He did.." (M/n) mumbled. His deep voice and sad look make Adrien sigh as he set the cookie onto the counter and set his hand on the boy's shoulder. (M/n) glanced at him, his lips tugged down into a deep frown. His eyes were glistening with tears as he sniffled and grabbed his left arm. 

"It's okay, (M/n), I'm here for you." Adrien whispered. (M/n) covered his eyes with his arm. 

"Why...?" (M/n)'s voice cracked as he muttered, "Why are you still here...even..even though I was so mean to you?" the seventeen-year-old asked. The golden blond smiled warmly, looking at the wall with a fond gaze. 

"Don't know!" he laughed, "I just know that I'm way too determined to be your friend." Adrien sighed out in relief, patting the boy on the shoulder once more before he grabbed ahold of the cookie and broke it in half and handed the taller teen one side. 

"Because we're in it together." Adrien declared. 

(M/n) looked at him through his scarred fingers, taking the half and taking a bite out of it. 

Hey, Tyler. I think I found a new guy, you're still on my mind. But this guy might be my new Sanctuary..

(M/n) smiled to himself and finished the cookie. 

Adrien noticed the smile, his rosy cheeks growing warmer. 

"What..?" he laughed awkwardly. 

(M/n) shook his head. 

"It's nothing.." He starts, "Just wondering how long it would take for us to become friends." He hints with a smirk. Adrien smirked back and crossed his arms. 

"You betting a week?" The golden blond inquired. (M/n) hummed softly and nodded. 

"It's a bet." 

{What do you guys think of this chapter? I honestly love the energy that Adrien and (M/n) give off, and it was kinda hard to reject Nathaniel like that but don't worry!! It works out in the end and Nathaniel will forget about his crush soon. Let me know what should happen with Adrien's and (M/n)'s relationship? Should (M/n) start being more open? What will Marinette do when she finds about how close Adrien is with our precious boy? What is Rose going to do with her obvious crush?!!}