Chapter 48: Baked Goods

(M/n) stared up at the clouds that swarmed the sky, they were a light gray and fluffy. He liked it when it was gloomy like this, it sold for a piece on the piano--it was more inspirational than gloomy in a way.

He was sitting in the park, his hands interlocked and resting on his stomach as he leaned back on the bench.

"(M/n)," Marinette's voice echoed from behind him. The boy glanced down to the side where he could make out the girl's figure.

"Hey, Marinette," he smiled sadly.

No words were exchanged for a few seconds—which turned into a few minutes and then shifted to almost an hour.

"Listen, I don't want to pretend that you don't know anything because I know you do. You know everything." Marinette paused, her lips closing as she breathed out through her nose harshly, (M/n) could faintly smell the perfume she had put on earlier that morning. It was sweet and overpowered the bakery warmth that (M/n) had grown used to.

"Yeah..." (M/n) whispered harmlessly, his eyes flicking down to the ground, the top of his messy shoelaces dragging along the dirt underneath the bench.

Marinette let out a snort, "God," she breathed, "when did this go so wrong...? It wasn't supposed to happen like this—you finding out, Adrien finding out, me finding out—god," she leaned into the bench's cold embrace, "I'm sorry that you got dragged into this, (M/n)."

Marinette's innocent smile drew the pianist closer to her. He smiled back and wrapped himself closer to his chest, the girl noticed the gesture, but she didn't say anything.

"You didn't drag me into this, I walked there--maybe stumbling," Marinette smiled a bit warmer, "my way through with an unregistered chorus of drama," (M/n) shrugged and let his smile broaden as the girl beside him relaxed.

"Sure~," she dragged, "..thanks."

(M/n) only nodded a curt but welcome nod that blossomed warmth in Marinette's chest and lingered until they parted ways.

--

Chloe tapped her fingers against the top of the outdoor picnic table, drumming at an erratic pace as she looked around with a worried bite of her lip.

When she finally settled on the person she had been waiting for, a grin broke out on her face as she stood to her feet excitedly. "(M/n)!" she shouted, glee filling her as she watched the boy smile back at her shyly and nod curtly to the people who stared at the two with disconcerting glares.

Chloe only smiled brighter as the boy sat across from her, tapping his leg with anxious fingers.

"Sorry for being late," (M/n) voiced quietly, an apologetic smile formed and stayed for a second longer before dissipating into a slim frown. Chloe waved her hand in dismissal, her smile only growing brighter as she leaned forward in anticipation.

"So," she paused, holding out her hand for the (h/c)-haired seventeen-year-olds, "what are you wearing for Prom?" the pianist looked at her with a strange twist in his face.

"Prom?" he replied hesitantly.

"Yeah! Prom--you..you do know what prom is, right?" Chloe questioned, her smile dimming.

(M/n) rolled his bottom lip between his teeth, he didn't want to lie, but at this point, he has enough already.

"No, I don't." He sank in his seat, embarrassment coming in waves as the seventeen-year-old groveled at the thought of socializing.

"It's basically a huge party that the school holds for the upper classes--us--and my daddy funds it! Are you going to come with me?!" Chloe explains, her eyes brightening as she leaned closer over the table slightly. Her excitement went right through (M/n) as he leaned back in retaliation.

"That might require me to be sociable..." he muttered. Chloe looked at him curiously, blinking to express her confusion.

"Are you coming or not?" Chloe sat back in her seat crossing her arms. Her blond curls bounced on her shoulders with a slight movement. "This year's theme is Masquerade, I have to ask my daddy for my dress and mask--I wanna be like Ladybug!" the pianist smiled at her enthusiasm.

"That sounds nice, but I'm not a fan of parties. So I'll probably be in the way anyway--"

"That's nonsense!" Chloe intercepted, a frown replacing her beautiful smile, "You're never in the way, you're amazing, but does that mean that you're not coming?" Chloe offered him a tired smile. (M/n) inhaled deeply before shaking his head, "I'll go," he replies shakily.

Chloe squealed and leaped over the table to wrap her arms around the boy's shoulders, (M/n) held her in surprise but smiled nevertheless.

She really was a sweet girl when she wanted to be.

--

(M/n) dozed off as he laid back on his couch, his cat was sprawled out on his chest, purring loudly at the warmth he emitted. It was one of the strays of the neighborhood, the white cat loved being with him so he eventually gave in and officially adopted him.

His name, on the other hand, was something that (M/n) was terrible at coming up with. Frowning, the boy mindless threaded his fingers through the cat's fur. The purring softened with little meows, and the background noise of his TV aided in cushioning the sounds as (M/n) raked his brain with different ideas.

Koda? No, too basic, Michael? Still too basic, Misha---no--

"Chat," the little pink ears of the cat on top of him perked up at the name, sleepy sea-green eyes staring up at him with curiosity. (M/n)'s heart warmed at the sight, smiling genuinely, the teen scratched the cat's chin to which the ball of fur earnestly worshipped, leaning into it and turning his head into it in the process. Loud purrs rolled out of his fluffy throat as he played with the boy's shirt with his shortened nails.

"Chaton it is," (M/n) was met with a deep purr resonating in his chest.

"You naming animals without me?" A familiar voice startled (M/n) up from his laying position, gasping out and raising his arms in defense as he whipped around with a dark glare.

Noticing the ruffled blond hair and a black-clad leather suit, the pianist relaxed and flopped back down, Chaton resting back in his place on his chest.

"Adrien--" (M/n) watched as the hero leaned over his face, their eyes catching as they started at each other. "What?" Chat lovingly whispered back, his voice deepening slightly with a held purr in the back of his throat.

"You could've called me..." the pianist muttered, his eyes flicking up to the blond's lips. The hero stayed hovering above him, smirking as he tilted his head slightly.

"It's funnier when I scare you..." he answered back, his smirk widening at the blossoming pink that fanned over the taller teen's cheeks and neck. The warmth coming off in waves.

(M/n) rolled his eyes and huffed, "right," he drawled, his hand leaving Chaton's back and raising to brush against the blond's cheekbone.

The model in disguise smiled more warmly as he leaned down with the gentle tug of (M/n) hand on his head. Their lips met with a bated shallow breath, warmth flooding their bellies with flickering flames as they kissed.

It wasn't their first but it felt as though they had room to breathe as if they were complete.

When they parted, (M/n) smiled and gestured to the kitchen, "Marinette gave me some Chocolate Croissants, do you want some?" he asked gently, his grin widening at the look the hero gave him.

"Of course! I'll get the plates, you stay here!" Chat exclaimed. (M/n) shook his head with a light laugh before looking back down at the wide blue eyes of the cat on his tummy.

"He's a dork, but I love him..." he muttered quietly.

I love him, (M/n) smiled.