Chapter 41: Playing Alone Again

DAY TEN; BET #2: Playing Alone Again

|FOUR DAYS BEFORE THE FESTIVAL|

The chilly night air elicited a small shudder from (M/n)'s lanky body as he hugged his arms tighter to his chest. He was nervous. He didn't want to preform if Adrien wasn't beside him--it felt wrong. (M/n) shook the thoughts away with another shudder raking down his spine. He was piled up with a black-colored hoodie and grey sweatpants with some simple black slip-on shoes. 

He had been out for a few hours just walking around to clear his thoughts--although it was clear that it wasn't working in the slightest. 

Frustrated and cold, (M/n) kicked away a pebble in front of him. A sigh soon left his lips right as a whistle echoed out beside him.

"Who hurt you today?" The sound of Marinette's voice made the boy jump up in surprise as he whipped his head around to look at Ladybug, her brilliant red-colored suit was illuminated by the warm light of the street lamp looming over them. 

"Jesus...Mari, don't sneak up on me like that." (M/n) hissed, he ran his hand down his face in mock anger before he smiled and leaned on the railing that the girl was standing on. She hopped down beside him and they looked up at the stars in silence. 

"You seemed mad Yesterday.." Ladybug voiced, concern lacing her words as she glanced up at the teen beside her. 

(M/n) huffed and crossed his arms before frowning. 

"I like Adrien more than I thought I did.." he offered a strained smile to which he got the girl to roll her eyes. 

"You never really know how much you like someone until someone else opens up your eyes to your actions--if that makes any sense.." the girl let out a nervous giggle before lightly tapping her fist against the boy's right shoulder, "I'm probably not the best one to talk to when it comes to love confessions, why not talk to Chat? You two are close--right?" 

The mention of the model's superhero name made (M/n)'s eyes go wide as he laughed out in response as he fiddled with his hoodie sleeve. 

"Yeah, right--he's...He's just some dumb kid that doesn't know when to stop." (M/n) forced out a fake laugh, pushing himself off the railing and continued to walk down the sidewalk. He looked over his shoulder towards the black-haired hero and shrugged his shoulders, "I'm gonna head home," he waved her off before turning back and walking faster. 

Before the girl could stop him, he had already disappeared down an alleyway to a shortcut to his house. 

Ladybug pursed her lips before making her way back to the meet-up spot that she and Chat had chosen. It had been a while since she's heard a pick-up line from the boy but thought nothing of it other than that it was much better this way. Still, it made her curious. 

The black-haired hero shook the thought away before landing on top of the flat roof top of a museum, Chat Noir was already there--patiently waiting for her with a distant look crossing his features. He hadn't noticed the girl until she had called out to him not too long after she had landed. 

"I won't be able to do patrol in about three days..my school is preparing for the festival." Ladybug offered a light smile to which the boy smiled back and nodded. 

"I was about to say the same thing," he chuckled, "I'm nervous.." he pandered out loud. Ladybug frowned at the sudden thought. 

"I never pegged you as someone who would be nervous about a Festival," she teases, but her teasing tone drifted off into something more concerned when she noticed the expression the boy was holding.