Chapter 80 - "You are my right amidst all wrongs..."

"Do you remember what is this month? And exactly how many months...no actually how many days are left for your 3rd semester?"

Navya's question made Nandini automatically turn her eyes to the calendar kept on her study table. It's 15 th of July. Exactly after 25 days, her exam will start. She pursed her lips in embarrassment. Navya reclined on the sofa handle and sarcastically replied,

"Exactly...not a month is left for your semester and here you have fallen ill. By the way, Nandu, come, let me check your pulse once. The nurse told me that you are better now but still....can't stop the doctor inside me."

She chuckled and gestured Nandini to near her. Nandini again became conscious. Although nowadays she always wears long sleeves and loosely fitted kurta to hide the faded bruises and marks on her body it is not safe to give her inquisitive sister any chance to get a single chance to be suspicious.

"Leave it Navu. I am fine. I swear. Rather you tell me about your camp. How were all those things?"

Nandu tried to change the topic and started stirring the books on her table in a purposeless way. Navya sounded irritated and within a minute, neared her to grab her hand. She clutched Nandini's arm and pulled her to the sofa. It happened so rapidly that Nandini couldn't get ready to act with her mind. Rather a painful wail let out of her mouth as Navya's nails touched exactly the wound on her forearm.

"Ufff...ahhhhh..."

She flinched in pain and Navya startled to leave her hand with a jerk. This time she didn't ask anything and looked into her sister's eyes for a while. Nandini cursed herself and was about to part her lips for a satisfactory explanation. But before that, Navya again held her hand and lifted the sleeve of the kurta till the place where she previously touched her. Her naked skin has 5-6 discoloured bruises and scratches on it. Navya got her hand closer to her eyes and minutely observed. Her jawline slowly became more visible. Nandini tried to free her hand from Navya's grip and uncomfortably said,

"Nothing...because of the Meningitis I had rashes but now, it's better. No pain is there."

Navya met her awkward eyes and replied,

"Rashes because of Meningitis. First time heard in my medical career. By the way, I think I have to study more. Perhaps I get to know."

Their eyes remained connected for a while. Navya's penetrating eyes and inner meaning of her lines forced Nandini to stare down. She meeked out,

"I am not lying."

..........................................

"What you thought? I will be sitting alone at home, ruminating over what I actually did at the party?"

He air quoted the last line and uttered nonchalantly.

"Really? Why? Have you forgotten who am I? I am Manik Malhotra. I live my life on my terms. Let bygones be bygones."

He added and suddenly if he remembered something, made a repenting sound and continued,

"Ohooo...I totally forgot. I have something for you."

He thrust his hand inside his pocket and took out a box. Harshad confusedly met his eyes. Manik smirked and opened the box. There is a bracelet.

"You were searching for this Versace bracelet for a long....right? See I remember."

Manik winked and forwarded the box to Harshad. With a pair of sceptic eyes, Harshad questioned,

"Gift! For me? Why?"

"Because I owed something to you."

............................................

"Don't go anywhere leaving me. It brings bad luck."

Navya's brows furrowed in confusion. Cabir's words were not only mere words. He almost vented his words through his eyes.

"Hey!...what's wrong with you? I was joking. This intensity doesn't suit you at all."

She gave a quick peck on his lips; wrapping his neck in between her arms she added,

"Where is my Tom? This Jerry is missing him."

Jest danced into her eyes. In a blink of an eye, Cabir sunk his face in the crook of her neck and mouthed in a trembling voice,

"I wish this Jerry will always be with her Tom whether the show is on or off. Because sometimes just the presence of a person in our life makes everything right. And you are my right amidst all wrongs."

Author's note: Read the full chapter in Inkitt.