Chapter 99 - "In short...Checkmate..."

"Suddenly why are you showing so much concern for Dad? You only said that you have nothing to do with this case when Dad got arrested at the airport. Remember I pleaded to you to come with me when I was going to the police station to meet Dad. But what did you say that time? You said whatever is happening with him is the consequence of his wrong deeds. If he committed the sin then he has to face the result. You didn't even wait for any proof and just landed to the conclusion that Dad should be in jail. Then what happened today. All of a sudden this sonly love and care!"

Soha ended with her venomous sarcasm. Aryamaan kept mum for a second. Whatever his sister said was not a lie. However, every coin has two sides.

"I didn't need any proof because I know he did it. But what can I do? I am his son. I truly care for him. Although I never show it."

He paused for a second and added,

"I got the news that Dad is not well. Cabir had filed a case against him with a non-bailable warrant application. So, it won't be easy to release him from lock-up. Only a medical report from a reputed doctor can create a humanitarian ground. For this purpose, I have to meet the lawyer. Now, tell me; can you come with me? You can criticise my sonly love later."

.........................................

"Don't avoid me, Nandini. I know that night is not the reason behind your aloofness. If so, then you didn't save me from the police. There is some other reason and I want to know that. Tell me why are going away? Why are you not giving this relationship a second chance? Tell me, Nandini. I can't take your silence as your answer. You have to tell the truth."

His voice is desperate and potent. He yanked her closer and placed his intense eyes on her impassive ones. Nandini kept mum for a second and then uttered in a dour tone,

"Or else? You will again force yourself on me to know the truth? Just because I am your wife you will claim your right on me as a husband? Mr Manik Malhotra, that's why I want to be free from this status. Your wife's status. Since our childhood, you always have claimed your right on me. But not anymore."

.............................................

"What the hell are you talking, Soha? I only spiked his drink and provoked him to fight with Arya. I didn't push your brother from the terrace. Manik did."

Harshad chided with annoyance while fisting the wooden desk. Soha raised her hands to calm him down.

"Relax...I know you didn't do this. But Manik is trying to prove it. He told me last night that he will turn the blame towards you. He even asked for my help to convince Arya. He is planning to lure him by withdrawing our Dad's case in return for Arya's new statement where he has to tell that not Manik instead you pushed him from the terrace. And believe me, my brother is kind of convinced about this negotiation. You know how stupid he can be sometimes. Harshad you are already arrested in a drug-dealing case. Now, if you get involved in the attempt to murder case then it will be impossible for your lawyer Pradhan to save you. Right now, Manik is shattered after losing Nandini. But he is equally dangerous like a wounded tiger. He can do anything to frame you."

Author's note: Read the full chapter in Inkitt.