Chapter 113 - "A lot to catch up..."

"So, your force has come to the conclusion that Nandini gave the poison to him. Ridiculous! If you didn't forget, let me remind you, the poison that has been traced in his stomach is Thallium. Now, how could she manage to get Thallium to poison him? Or you are trying to say that during her kidnapping phase, Nandini got out of the villa, bought Thallium and then came back to kill Harshad? Are you mad?"

He fisted the desk. Cabir immediately held him by his shoulder to control his outrage.

"Behave yourself, Mr Manik. It's not your living room or office where you can raise your voice anytime. For your kind information, Thallium is a poison which can be found in many things. But most commonly it is found in rat poison. And sorry to say that we found some packets of rat poison in that Villa where both Harshad and your wife were. Now, you got the point why we have a point to suspect Nandini Malhotra?"

ACP Karmakar stated sternly while leaning back. Manik ground out,

"I got your point, Mr ACP. Involving Nandini would be easier for your force to close the case soon. Because she is the easy target and you are being a victim of confirmation bias. Do you know the meaning of this term? Then let me enlighten you. Confirmation bias is a state of mind where someone becomes confirmed about the accused's crime without any proper investigation. The person becomes biased about the accused's crime that he or she has definitely done this. And here you and your force are doing the same thing. Nandini was with Harshad, he was killed by rat poison, there was rat poison in the villa so, end of the story...she is the killer. But for your kind information, this can be only a co-incident and circumstantial evidence. Not a solid proof to accuse a person of murder. And I will find out the truth. If Nandini said that Harshad left for a while to meet someone then it is the ultimate truth for me. Now, I have to find out who is that someone. You can relax with your judgement. But I won't let anyone cause a single scratch to my wife. Let's see what wins. Your confirmation bias or my investigation!"

Manik kicked the chair behind and got up to leave the police station. Cabir observed his brother and looked at the pissed-off ACP.

................................

"What happened? Want to discuss something? Is Aliya alright? If you need any help...you know, I am always there for you."

Manik stated gravely. Dhruv kept on looking at him vacantly for some time and then uttered hesitantly,

"Manik, as per the police, Harshad came in touch with a lady whose make-up traces were in his clothes..."

Manik didn't let Dhruv continue and ranted,

"Pleeeeease, Dhruv! Now, don't tell me that you also suspect Nandini. It's impossible, Man!"

"But possible for Aliya."

Dhruv's words snatched Manik's words from his mouth. He became stunt for a moment and then reacted in a dicey voice,

"Wha...what! What are you saying? How Aliya came into the picture?"

...................................

"Room 302?"

ACP Karmakar asked the bellboy and he pointed at the right-side corridor. ACP Karmakar corrected his coat collar and approached the pointed direction. A sly and lucid grin was lingering on his lips. Reaching the expected door, he knocked lightly. It took a few minutes to click open the door. His lusty eyes roamed all over the body of the person who was standing in front of him wrapped in a bathrobe.

Author's note: The full chapter is on Inkitt.