Chapter 112 - "Game is on..."

"But I was not observing you for that. Since yesterday, I have been wondering about something. In fact, I was a bit shocked to see you yesterday."

"Shocked? Why?"

Aliya asked and broke the eye contact to lean back. She closed her eyes and exhaled sharply.

"Because you didn't react the way I expected when I let you know about Harshad's death. I know how much you loved your brother. Then why is this apathetic reaction? You didn't even ask me how did he die."

Dhruv's voice was full of queries. Aliya didn't open her eyes but a dejected smile glinted on her lips.

"This fate was decided. He chose this path."

..........................................

"He was not a bad brother, nor am I a bad sister. You know Dhruv, sometimes we don't have other ways to make things right instead of doing wrongs. My brother is no more and I am not shedding tears. You can judge me for this but don't judge my care for him. Sometimes we are to choose between wrong and more wrong. I just chose mine."

Aliya sounded stone-hard and tried to get up. However, she staggered to control her balance. Dhruv immediately held her hand to support her. Aliya turned at him and freed herself slowly. Her eyes were tired.

"Don't make me feel all the time that I need you."

She uttered with an exasperated tone. Dhruv met her eyes and mouthed with affection,

"I need you more than you need me."

Aliya's jaws became hard and she said sternly,

"Then change your needs because it's just a matter of some more days."

..........................................

"Mom was discussing Cabir and Navya's marriage. It's almost going to complete one year of Amms demise. So, as per the plan, we all will get married with proper rituals."

Manik sounded thrilled as he rubbed both of his hands with excitement. Nandini observed his enthusiasm and replied in a passive tone,

"Yes, Mom told me about that but Manik, we can't marry now. I mean I can't marry at the same time when Cabir and Navy will get married."

Lines of confusion formed on Manik's forehead. He asked in a perplexed voice,

"Why? You are worried about your condition? But you just said that you are completely fit and fine. Then what happened? Wait...wait...You are defying it because once I denied any elaborate wedding but Nandu that was my previous thinking. I used to think that rituals and pompous weddings is just a waste of time and energy but now I want to marry you in a grand way. I want to let the world know that we are together...forever."

.................................

"Someone poisoned him with thallium added in his juice that has been traced in his stomach. Forensic experts got some make-up traces on his shirt and body. Now, that indicates that some woman is involved in this murder."

"Make-up traces! That could be Nandini's too. She was struggling with Harshad."

Cabir abruptly stopped knowing how these words can disturb Manik. Both maintained silence for a while and then Manik uttered,

"Let's go. I think now I have to step into this matter lest the police miss some loopholes. Nandini or Mom, I won't let anyone of them be counted in. The game is on."

Author's note: The full chapter is on Inkitt.