Chapter 87 - "I never expected this storm from you..."

Flashback:

"Nyonika Aunty told me to take help from you."

Nandini said hesitantly when peeked from the ajar door. Manik had come from his hostel for 1 month as his exam was over and students were not allowed to stay in the hostel in between two sessions. Otherwise, it was difficult to say whether Manik would have come here. He was always detached from his home. On the contrary, these vacations used to bother him. Manik was reading a book, lying on his bed when Nandini's timid and dithering call broke his concentration. He looked at the door and met two eager black doe eyes.

"What help?"

He asked. His intimidating tone gave more jitter to her. Still, she stepped into the room with lots of shilly-shally. With baby steps, she neared the bed. Manik observed she is holding a book and a copy in her hand. He took a quick check on her. She was wearing a knee-length frock. Her hair was tied in two thick braids, lying on either side of her neck till the upper belly. Her face was devoid of any makeup apart from the kohl line in her back doe eyes. She raised her lashes a little and uttered in an apprehensive tone,

"I have my exam tomorrow and...and I am not getting this sum."

She tried to show the folded book. A mischievous idea peeped in his mind. He got up from the bed, throwing the book on it which he was reading and came to the mirror. He observed his image and looked at Nandini through the mirror. She was still standing like a statue, hoping for his yes.

"What will I get in return?"

He suddenly demanded. Nandini turned at him. With an innocent mind, she assured,

"Anything you want."

Present time:

Nandini closed her eyes.

"I was always your home, Manik and I know still I am."

Tears trickled down from the corner of her eyes. Only then, the door opened and Manik entered.

.......................................................

"I want to launch an F.I.R against Manik Malhotra."

Navya mouthed determinedly while settling both hands on the desk. The police officer gestured her to sit.

"Tell me in detail. The charge and your identity too."

He composedly suggested. Navya occupied the chair and calmed her down.

"I am Navya Murthy. A medical student. Manik Malhotra is my brother-in-law. He...he raped my sister...I mean he raped his wife Nandini Malhotra. He even tried to murder Mr Aryamaan Khurana. If you want, he can give his statement too. But right now, I want to file a case against him on behalf of my sister Nandini Malhotra. Please do the formalities."

She spoke in a go. The police officer listened to her patiently and asked,

..................................................

"Did you get the notes?"

Manik asked. Nandini kept the writing pad on the bed and nodded in positive.

"Thank you. But you didn't have to work so hard. I will manage."

She replied. An impish smile crept on his lips.

"Yes, you will only manage with good marks. Forget about being the topper."

Nandini startled and met his eyes. Was he ruminating over the same memories?

...............................................

With a soft lament, she dashed to Manik's chest. Manik immediately wrapped her from her waist. Their eyes got involved in an intense gaze. A strand of tresses was caressing the side of her face. Manik balanced her with his left hand and his other hand reached the locks. Without breaking the meaningful eye contact, Manik moved the hair shaft from her face and tucked it behind her ear.

"It was not your mistake. It was mine. I am sorry for everything."

He almost whispered. Nandini's grip on his shirt became tighter. She wished this moment never ends. Just at that moment, a voice is heard,

"Manik, Baba...Police has come."

Author's note: Read the full chapter in Inkitt.