Chapter 83 - "Secrets ruin relationship..."

"I am freeing you from this malevolent love. You know Nandini since mychildhood, love always came to me as pain. Maybe that's why I started to believe that the secret of joy is the mastery of pain in love. Actually, love never existed for me. The only thing that existed was my obstinance to ignorethis feeling. When I used to be awake alone in my hostel room bed at night, I used to think that Cabir might be snuggling to Mom. She might be fondling his hair and telling stories. Staring at the starry sky I used to think if love only gives pain and rejection then why should I express my love to others? If love can't give me love in return, then why should I love anyone?

...........................................

He uttered with self-pity. Until then Nandini had been listening in silence. Her eyes were fixed to Manik's face. Her eyes had the pain of losing everything. Manik walked to the cupboard and opened it. He unlocked the drawer and took out a brown envelope. He stared at it for a while. Gradually, a pale smile peeped in his lips. He turned and neared Nandini holding the envelope.

"I don't need this anymore."

Saying this he forwarded it to her. Nandini looked at it and then stared up to meet his eyes with a quizzical face.

"This is Navya's thesis papers which I got to blackmail you. I am sure you haven't forgotten."

................................................

"You again punished me for no reason, Manik. You loved me the way you wanted and now you freed me the way you wished. You can never know if your presence in my life pains me then your absence in my life will kill me."

Her voice got choked for a moment. She sauntered at the bed and slouched on it. Keeping the envelope beside her, she lay supine on the bed. Tears brimmed her eyes and flowed from its corner.

"This is where our journey ends,

You're breaking my heart again..."

She hummed the song gazing at the ceiling.

.............................................

"You still have no regret? Do you have a heart or not?"

Harshad sniggered and retorted,

"Maybe I have not. I don't have a heart for a person who once broke my sister's heart. You can forget it and may forgive that bastard but I can't. And for my revenge, I can do anything. I can even put Nandini and Aryamaan's life at stake to make Manik a rapist and a murderer. Yes, I have no regrets about what I have done. If needed I will do it again."

Harshad's words dried Aliya's throat in fear. She stepped back with staggering legs.

"Arya...maan...that means...that means...Manik pushed him and...and you...forced him to...do so!"

Her voice was laced with astonishment and anguish. Harshad scoffed and shrugged with confidence.

"Not forced but used. I used his anger and he did it like a puppet...ha...ha..The Manik Malhotra. The heir of Malhotra Empire is finished. I snatched Nandini from him. He ruined your happiness and I ruined his life. The score is settled."

He hissed out while jerking his fists in the air. Aliya took a deep sigh and countered impassively,

"The score is not yet settled, Bhai. You know we often think that we are Gods. We can control other's life. We can even ruin or mend anybody's life. But in reality, we all are nothing but the puppets of destiny."

Her eyes clouded with agony. She opened her purse and took out a paper.

.................................................

"Something is not in the place, Nandu. I can smell it. But I know I won't get any answer from you. So, it's better to find it out on my own. Secrets ruin relationship."

She exited the room with determined steps.

Author's note: Read the full chapter in Inkitt.