01

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗢𝗡𝗘.
𝙧𝙤𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙤𝙥𝙨 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙚𝙚𝙧𝙨.

"𝙏𝙃𝘼𝙏'𝙎 𝙒𝙃𝘼𝙏, 𝘼 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀-𝙎𝙏𝙊𝙍𝙔 𝙁𝘼𝙇𝙇 𝙏𝙊 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝘿𝙀𝘾𝙆? 𝗜 𝗚𝗜𝗩𝗘 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗔𝗕𝗢𝗨𝗧 𝗔 𝗢𝗡𝗘-𝗜𝗡-𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗦𝗨𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗩𝗔𝗟.'' Pope teased, fiddling with the drill in his hand as he looked up at John B who had been stupidly balancing on his foot.

"Should I do it?" John B hummed, sticking his pointer finger into his mouth before lifting it towards the sky, his attempt at testing the wind.

"Yeah, jump." Pope encouraged, watching the boy perched on the edge of the roof.

They had taken over one of Nora's unfinished projects, a house on figure 8. The woman would flip if she knew they were there, since the sheriff would turn to her when the teenagers hung out on the restricted property. But of course she didn't listen, JJ was always in her ear about rebelling.

The two boys chatted back and forth, Pope joking about shooting John B on the way down. Luna sat comfortably against the railing, her back laying against the cool metal as JJ sat next to her, swinging his feet back and forth as he sipped his beer can.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kiara complained as she exited the house, stepping onto the deck, "This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?"

JJ drew his eyes away from his two friends as they settled onto the brunette who had just entered, he shrugged, "I can't have cold towels."

At this Kie rolled her eyes, "Why would Nora choose to destroy a turtle habitat? No offense, Lu."

Luna lifted the beer can from her lips, letting it hit the deck next to her gently, "None taken. It's not her choice, whatever house they give her to renovate she takes."

Kie nodded understanding her words, her brown eyes flickering up to her friend on the rooftop, "Can you please not kill yourself?"

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one." JJ warned, keeping an eye on the small drink that had been close to slipping out of John B's grip.

The second the words had left his mouth the beer can fell. John B tripped over his foot, stumbling around as he caught his balance, the van went flying out of his hand, the alcohol spilling onto the lower deck. Luna cringed, there was now clear evidence that the group had been there.

"Of course you did." JJ scoffed, placing his half empty can next to Luna's, the corners of his mouth lifting as he watched her lean her head back and bathe in the sun.

"Stop staring, Maybank." Luna giggled, the blonde quickly snapping his eyes to the view in-front of him. His cheeks tinted a light pink out of embarrassment.

A car engine had caught Pope's attention as he was leaning onto the wooden post, the familiar car pulling up the house, signifying that it was go time, "Hey! Hey, uh, security's here."

"Let's wrap it up. Boys are early today." Kie called, John B jumping into the structure next to roof before jumping towards the deck, JJ and Luna standing up from their comfortable spot by the railings.

JJ looked over the railing, Gary stepping out of the truck as he walked up the mess of a house, the blonde nearly cheered as he saw him, "Gary, is that you? Gary, good to see you, man!"

"You're asking for it." Luna told him, shoving past the boy as she slung her backpack on her shoulder.

The friends ran through the place, weaving past fallen wood panels, tools that had been scattered along the floor and most importantly the two guards that had been hunting them.

Laughter filled the scene, smiles spreading on the teens faces. This had became an everyday thing, running from the police, it wasn't everyone's ideal thing but for the group it was their favorite activity.

JJ hadn't swerved the guard fast enough, he was wrapped into a hold as the man held him down, "I got him!"

Unfortunately for him, JJ had been used to being in tight holds, quickly he jerked his body around, easily slipping from the lock.

"Not much of a hugger!" JJ yelled as he ran for the fence that had been blocking their exit.

Luna hauled herself over the white gate, Pope attempted to mirror her movements but face planted on the grass below him.

"Go, Pope!" He said through laughter, helping the boy up as the two jumped into the Twinkie along with the others.

John B started the van engine, the vehicle speeding forwards as they escaped the security guards once again, surprisingly Gary had followed the van on foot.

The doors were still wide open allowing JJ to hang his body out of the side, a beer can held in his hand as he teased the guard who was clearly running out of breathe, "You're so close! You can do it."

Luna sat with her back against the passenger seat, her hazel eyes fixated on the boy that was half out of the van, small fits of laughter escaping the friends mouths as JJ let go of the can, Gary successfully catching the tin.

"They don't pay you enough, bro." He said before slumping back down in his seat as Kiara had managed to pull him back in, "JJ, stop. Stop."

High on adrenaline he responded to her, "Oh, come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished."

Outer Banks, the sign read in big bold letters as they drove down the coast, passing various wealthy houses as they speed along figure 8.

The Twinkie came to a halt as it pulled up to the token house. The token house was Luna's house but it had gotten the name token because of how apparently "richy" it was according to JJ.

"Thanks." Luna bid goodbye as she hopped out of the van, waving her friends goodbye as they accelerated down her street.

Her feet dug into the gravel as she walked up to the glass door, pulling it open she sighed out of relief as they cold air conditioning hit her face.

Confusion filled her as the familiar smell of dinner didn't hit her nose, it had been five o'clock so it was weird at the fact that dinner hadn't been ready yet.

Mya sat on the kitchen counter, a box of apple juice in her hand as she played with the ends of her red dress, "Luna!"

Luna placed her bag down on the floor, walking over to her sister as she wrapped her arms around the small girl, fixing her two braids as she stood up, "Where's mom? And why are you so fancied up?"

"Upstairs. Dinner with that snobby family." Mya informed her older sister, Luna choked loudly on her water as she listened to the girl.

"Hey. I told you not to call them that." Luna warned, holding back a laugh as she placed her bottle into her backpack, hauling it over her shoulder as she helped Mya onto the ground.

"But you call them that!" She yelled as she ran from her sister, sitting herself down as she pulled open the chest filled to the brim with different toys.

Just as Luna stepped up the stairs, Nora came down them, fixing the small gold bracelet on her wrist, "Hey mom. Thanks for the heads up about dinner."

Nora chuckled as her heels hit the tile, "Sorry, Lu Lu. But I'm gonna need you to suck it up this time. It's about work, I know you don't wanna go but please don't push."

"Fine. But I still don't like them." Luna gave in, skipping a step as she climbed up them.

𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘!
hope you all enjoyed the first
official chapter !
definitely one of my favorite books that
i have ever written, i have some crazy
stuff planned and i am so excited :)
kisses to all of you. hope you all are doing
well.