11

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗟𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡
𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙤𝙛𝙛𝙞𝙘𝙚.

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗗𝗢𝗢𝗥 𝗛𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗟𝗘 𝗧𝗪𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗔𝗦 𝗝𝗢𝗛𝗡 𝗕 𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗧𝗢 𝗨𝗡𝗟𝗢𝗖𝗞 it, the group standing behind him as they watched him fiddle with the tiny key.

"I've slept over here like 600 times, and I've never seen this door opened." Pope said, making everyone hum in agreement as the door was swung open.

Chills went down Luna's spine as she walked into the office, her fingertips gliding along the picture frame, Big John sat with a large smile as he stared up at the camera, John B in one arm as he slept peacefully, Luna biting on a toy as she cradled into his arm.

Big John had treated her like his own daughter, he cared for her, took care of her. Most importantly he loved her.

Her attention snapped back to her friends, she made her way over to the desk, papers scattered all over the top, she followed John B's finger as he spoke, "This is the original owner, right here."

The picture was old, a man stood with the familiar object being held in his hand, "Robert Q. Routledge, 1880 to 1920. There's the lucky compass, right there.
Actually, um... he was shot after he bought it."

The next picture was another man, old quality and the compass also being with him, "Actually, um... he was shot after he bought it. He was killed in a crop-dusting accident when he had the compass.
After he died, the compass was given to Stephen.
Stephen had the compass with him when he died in Vietnam, he was killed by a banana truck. In... in country. Anyways, after that, Stephen passed the compass down to him, my dad."

Luna widened her eyes as she listened to him list off the tragedies each of the men faced, her lips parting as she took in the new information, "Yeah, you have a death compass."

John B glared up at her, he spoke sternly, "I do not."

"Get rid of it. It's cursed, and made its way back to you." JJ sided with Luna as the two stared at the boy before then, John blowing them off as he returned back to the compass.

He played with the top of it, it popping up as there seemed to be a word carved into it, he ran his finger over it, "That wasn't there before. This is my dad's handwriting."

"How can you know that?" Pope asked, folding his arms as he studied the word.

John B hurried to grab one of his fathers papers, lifting it up to point to the strangely written r, "Because he does these weird Rs with the... See it?"

JJ took the compass out of the boys grip, holding it near his face as he analyzed it, Luna behind him as she peered over his shoulder, standing on her tippy toes as she could barely see, ""Red... Rout..." No, I think that's an A."

She laughed, nearly rolling his eyes as she corrected him, "It says Redfield."

"The most common name in the county." Pope scoffed, shaking his head as he pushed out his bottom lip, "But if it is a clue, maybe it's an anagram?"

Pope had grabbed a spare piece of paper, going over ideas with the group as they attempted to locate Redfield. It could be a place or even a last name for fuck sakes.

Luna spun around in confusion as she heard a car engine, she walked towards the window, the black pick up truck coming to a halt as they two men stepped out. Her stomach whirled as curesed,
"Oh, fuck me. Guys! Somebody's here."

As soon as the words had left her mouth they ran, all huddling up by the large window as they watched them men walk up to the entrance of John B's home, he gripped JJ's shoulders as he panicked, "Where's the gun?"

The blonde pondered, his eyebrows pulling together as he traced his steps, Kie crying out in fear, "Now you don't have the gun, the one time we need the gun?"

"On the porch. It's on the porch." He mumbled, running over towards the door as he flung it open, letting it shut quietly behind him.

The grown men began to yell loudly as they entered the house, the sound of glass breaking echoed through it, JJ came flying back into the tiny room, hands empty as he breathed heavily, they all stared at him in uncertainty as he was bare handed, "They're on the front porch, guys."

Luna placed her fingers under the white ledge on the window, whining as she just hurt herself in the end, the boys were immediately at her side, registering on to her idea as they pulled upwards.

Kie kept her voice low as she began to panic, "What... what's happening? Why is it taking so long?"

"It's painted shut, okay?" JJ spat, putting all of his strength on the sealed window.

It opened, the hole being big enough for them to fit through, Luna sighed when her feet hit the grass, her hand reaching out as she helped Kie out, Pope, JJ and John B following behind quickly.

Together they rushed inside the caged chicken coop, pushing the animals out of their way as they leaned against the walls, staying silent.

Luna kept her eyes shut as she squeezed onto JJ's forearm, nuzzling herself into his side as she kept quiet.

The chicken continuously clucked, drawing attention to them as it screamed, Kie sobbed, "Do something, Pope. Shut him up."

Pope flicked his eyes up to her, "What do you want me to do?"

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know." Kie waved her hand, letting her head rest on the wall of the coop as the tears fell freely down her tan cheeks.

He had just looked up at JJ, "You do something."

JJ sat up on his knees, wrapping a hand around its neck as he strangled the animal, letting its limp body fall to the ground as it was now dead.

The car engine has started up once more, the tires of the truck screeching as the strangers had taken off, the friends remained in their spots, no one daring to move an inch.

𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘!
so how can i apply to be the chicken ??