09

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘
𝙖𝙘𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙣𝙤𝙧𝙢𝙖𝙡.

𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗬 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘𝗗 𝗚𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗦 𝗔𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗢𝗣𝗦 𝗣𝗨𝗟𝗟𝗘𝗗 𝗨𝗣 𝗖𝗟𝗢𝗦𝗘𝗥, all of their nerves on a high as they attempted to look as casual as possible, Luna tucked the beers back into the cooler, her feet blocking it as she stood.

JJ ran over, tying the two boats together as they connected, he stepped back, "Act normal."

Shoupe greeted the group of teenagers, holding onto his boat post as he studied the tiny vehicle, "How you kids doing? You know the marsh is closed?"

Everyone looked around at each other, mouths open as they searched for an answer, Luna saved their asses with her quick response, "didn't know that. Why... why is it closed?"

"Well, we're conducting a search out here. Boat went down." Shoupe nodded, his feet handing off his deck as he watched them, "Seen anything?"

There was an obvious tension laced in between them, the small side glances they would send each other as the officer spoke casually to them, their mouths in a circle shape as they pretended to act surprised at the news.

Luna answered him with a quick head-shake, "No, sir. No boats."

He raised his brows at her short answer, his sunglasses blocking his eyes as he adjusted them, "Where's your friend you always hang with? He here?"

"He's working." Kie smiled, her teeth showing as she tilted her head to the side.

"I'm gonna check your little boat out." Shoupe said strictly, planting his feet on the deck of the small boat as he stepped on, watching JJ frantically search for something.

All of their hearts were pounding, more for John B, his air supply must've ran out by now, they watched as the officer leaned over the edge, staring down into the water for any sign of movement or wreckage.

Once he saw nothing he lifted his head back up, returning back to the teens as he finished his quick search, "Let us know if you see anything on your way out."

"We'll be gone soon, sir." Luna breathed, waving off the boat as it sped passed them, the heavy weight being lifted off all of their shoulders as they ran towards the ledge.

They narrowed their eyes at the water, hands gripping the edge as they all silently prayed, John B sprung out of the waters, his mouth pulling in every breathe of air as he chest pumped up and down.

"Don't scare us like that!" JJ and Luna said in union, large grins in their faces as their eyes light up.

"Did you find anything?" Pope asked, watching John B swim the entrance in the boat.

He laughed, his one arm still submerged under the water, he lifted it up, a large bag flopping down onto the boat, "Did I find anything?"

JJ cheered loudly at his friends find, "Yeah, there we go! That's my boy!"

The friends had been celebrating, dancing around foolishly as they beamed of happiness, the soaked bag has still been untouched and closed as it laid on the ground.

Popes smile faded as a unfamiliar boat approached them, "Hey, guys?" He said in a louder tone, catching their attention as they all stopped their movements, "Guys, bogey, two o'clock. Do you recognize that boat?"

Luna pulled down her purple tinted glasses, joining Popes side as they watched the boat sped closer, she gulped, "What are they doing here? The marsh is closed."

"Let's not stick around and find out." JJ disclosed, grabbing onto the bowline as he began to tug it upwards, JB running for the steer as the boat stared up once more.

Two bodies were on the further boat, making their way towards the struggling teens as they roared their boat engine, Luna nearly cried out as she realized they hadn't even moved an inch, "Are you joking? JJ, hurry up."

HMS Pogue fulfilled its duties, flying down the waters as it entered the Marsh, grass surrounding them as they attempted to steer the stalking boat in the other direction, Kiara had her front facing them, her breathe hitching as she watched them pull behind their own boat, "Hey, guys, they're following us."

Luna screeched as a gun was shot, her body going limp as she threw herself on the ground, a pair of arms wrapping securely around her head as she buried herself into the body next to hers. She lifted her head, brown hair falling over her eyes as she made out the familiar frame. JJ.

He cooed softly as he rubbed her head, shouting at John B to duck down as the gun shots continued to fire at them, "Shh. It's okay, Lu. I've got you, I'm here."

Kie became the hero, risking her own life as she stood, ignoring the protests of her friends to stay seated, she grabbed a fish net, throwing it over the boat as she ducked, watching as the other boat got tangled in the net, coming to a halt.

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗕𝗔𝗚 𝗛𝗜𝗧 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗞, 𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗘𝗬𝗘𝗦 𝗢𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗦𝗠𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗜𝗧𝗘𝗠 𝗔𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗬 awaited for John B to unzip it, they had became extremely antsy, bouncing around with anticipation.

The friends had thrown ideas back and forth, guessing what could possibly be in the bag, suddenly Pope bursted out, his tone harsh, "Can we please just open the bag?"

John B paused, his brows furrowing together as he stared at the impatient boy, "Wow, Pope. That's a rare outburst of emotion."

Pope rolled his eyes, his hands on his knees as he leaned down, getting a better look at the kept away prize, "Okay. You guys are literally killing me with anticipation."

With shaky hands he opened it, John slid the zipper to the other side, pushing the empty bag down as he pulled out a metal tin, he popped the cap off, his hand disappearing into it as he grasped a small object.

A compass.

Luna and John B nearly gasped as he held it up, the Pogues around them whining about it not being something valuable. Little did they know...it wasn't just any compass.

His thumb ran over the detailing as he stared it in complete awe, JJ scrunched his face up as he watched his best friend sat quietly, his main focus on the compass, "Dude, what? It's not worth anything."

A smile crept onto his face, "This was my father's."

𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘!
ahhhhh
things are starting to pull together now
imma cry ??!!!