63

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗜𝗫𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘
𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙘𝙧𝙪𝙢𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙙𝙤𝙬𝙣.

LUNA KEPT HER HEAD DOWN, THE SOUND OF RAINDROPS HITTING against the surrounding tents.

Her heart was pounding through her chest, the warmth of JJ's hand engulfing her smaller one keeping her from breaking down.

She shot up as Shoupe walked into the dry tent, two officers behind him as they wore bright jackets, the facial expressions unreadable.

"Did you find them?" Pope asked, his chest rising up and down rapidly as he glanced between the three officers.

Plumb and Thomas formed their lips into flat lines, staying silent as Shoupe answered the teens flatly.

"No."

"So, they got away?" Kie breathed out, glancing between the uniformed men.

Luna could see the hesitation in their faces as Kie questioned, she was hopping for the best, that John B and Sarah would have escaped. They would be living their best lives off the coast of some tropical island, but deep down she knew that would be the most unrealistic scenario ever.

"We, uh... we lost them." Shoupe darted his tongue out, a pitiful look taking over his softened features, "I'm sorry."

"What do you mean you lost them? Like, they're gone? What are you talking about?" Pope swallowed, his eyes darting between the group.

Shoupe sighed, "They took an open boat into a tropical depression, Pope."

"So, they're dead?" Luna quavered, her bottom lip beginning to shake,

"We don't know." He shook his head, his eyes softening.

JJ suddenly ran over to the officer, gripping onto his jacket as he screamed, attempting to throw punches before he was dragged away, "You drove them straight through the storm, man! Are you kidding me? Come here! I'm gonna kill you!"

Luna couldn't react, her lips parting as salty tears ran down her face. Her body still as she watched JJ threaten Shoupe.

"JJ, stop!" Kie cried out, her voice horse as her eyes blurred.

"He didn't kill anyone, and you know it!" Pope screamed, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Shoupe had felt bad for the group, he didn't show his pity, "We're still looking for him, all right?"

Luna's body felt weak, her knees wobbling as her eyes clouded with tears, her friends jumping into the arms of their loved ones.

Nora came running into the tent, her eyes wide as her facial expressions were full of worry, her light irises softened as she studied her daughters fragile state.

The brunette couldn't hear, the cries only blurring in her ears, with teary eyes she glanced up once more, capturing JJ's breakdown.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, a loud sob escaping her chapped lips as she gripped onto his shirt.

JJ nuzzled his face into the soft strands, surely dampening her hair but neither of them cared at this moment. He held her tightly, as if she was going to be ripped away from him.

The storm continued as the news dawned on the teenagers, thunder striking the sky as the waves onto worsened.

Luna didn't want to move, her body staying glued to the warmth of JJ's hold, her eyes squeezing shut as she gasped out for air.

He rubbed her back in circles, sniffling continuously as he breathed out.

No one can survive a loss alone, the grief overtaking your mental state as the memory of that person is glued into your mind.

Luna Summers had relied on JJ Maybank, everything bad in the world seeming to switch to good when she was beside him.

He made everything seem alright, even if it wasn't going to be.

:)
last chapter brb...