39

The four teens pulled up to the water, backing the boat into the water, loading everything they had packed into the boat.

Brenna lifted her shirt to make sure the money was still there, she had forgotten about it during the fight.

"Where the hell is he?" Brenna asked, pacing the short wooden dock, she was getting anxious that they had caught him or Sarah and things were going downhill.

"Give him a second. He'll be here," Pope huffed as he tired the boat to the dock.

"He'll be here," Kiara repeated, stoping the pacing girl girl, her hands on her shoulders, the two holding eye contact.

A police siren went off, the four teens all turned to look at the police truck.

"Guys!" Brenna warned, backing up.

"Get back on the boat," JJ instructed, "Untie it"

Kiara and Brenna backed up to the boat as Pope started to untie it from the dock.

"Wait," JJ said squinting at the person exciting the truck, "No way"

"No f'ing way," Pope shook his head.

"John B!" Brenna cheered jogging to the end of the dock where he now stood.

"You've gotta be kidding me," Kiara chuckled.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," John B shrugged, joining his friends on the dock.

"Okay. That's believable," Brenna laughed as the two siblings hugged. Kiara shook her head again, giving the boy a hug.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday," JJ smiled, patting the boat then tossing John B the keys, "You ready to go?"

"Where's Sarah?" John B asked.

"She's not with you?" Brenna questioned.

"No, we got separated in the swamp," John B explained, "She said she'd meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her, man," Pope commented.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her," John B looked at the whole group like he was looking for answers.

"John B, look at me," JJ got the brunettes attention, "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food."

"Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay?" JJ continued the run down of the directions, "Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?"

John B looked over at Brenna hoping she knew where Sarah was, his eyes were sad, her's just as sad.

"Brownsville," JJ repeated, "Hey! You got that?"

"Yeah, yeah. Brownsville," John B turned back to JJ nodding his head.

"All right. Saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this," JJ patted John B on the shoulder.