42

"Brenna! Time to get up!" Freddie banged on the teen girl's door, bight and early a few days later.

"I'm up!" Brenna groaned, still laying in bed, covers over her head.

She took another deep breath before throwing off the covers and forcing herself out of bed.

Brenna went to the bathroom to wash her face to help her wake up.

"You'll be fine, avoid people, do your work, you'll be fine," she tried to pep talk herself, looking in the mirror at her distressed self, hair a mess from sleep, face puffy.

The girl let out a groan as she went back to her room to find an outfit, she landed on a white crop top with some high waisted blue flannel pants, her same gold shell necklace and tennis shoes as always.

She pulled half of her naturally wavy hair into a half up bun, letting the rest hang loose, she did some light makeup just to look less like she spent the last month crying and avoiding sunlight.

Brenna grabbed a quick breakfast before hopping on her bike to head to the local high school. She didn't need her obvious kook car drawing any more unwanted attention to her.

"Have a good day!" Freddie called after her, not getting a response, just an unseen eye roll.

When she pulled up to the school she walked her bike inline with all the others, looking up at the giant sign that read 'Kildare County High School', immediately getting anxious.

Brenna started towards a bright yellow painted rock that was a memorial to John B, photos and notes, flowers all scattered around the rock.

She stood in front of it, holding back tears as she scanned over the items that sat around the bottom of the rock, her fingers running over the necklace around neck.

People started to whisper around her about being surprised people would show up, she immediately knew who it was, she looked back over her shoulder, eyes meeting the pogues.

Kiara let out a deep breath, Pope avoided eye contact with everyone around them and JJ looked sadder then ever.

The three came to a stop beside Brenna, no one said anything for a minute they just all looked down at the memorial.

"I feel like people are staring at us," Kiara finally said looking back at the crowd of teens.

JJ agreed, looking around, standing right beside Brenna, the two made eye contact, she smile.

"Guys I can't be late," Pope said, starting to walk past Brenna towards the school.

Kiara followed him, "Hey, hey! We gotta stick together," Kiara reached for his hand, Pope stopped looking back at her before putting his hand in hers.

JJ looked over at Brenna with a forced smile, sticking out his hand, "That includes you, Ren"

Brenna wrapped her arm around his bicep, the two falling in line with Kiara and Pope, Kiara linking her arm around JJ's.

The four made it into the first class of the day, Brenna sat in front of JJ, focused on listening to the teacher, pencil in hand as she took notes, until her phone buzzed in her pocket at the same time another phone went off.