58

The next morning, Brenna woke up kinda sad Kiara wasn't still beside her but she got up and showered knowing she'd see her in a few hours, she dressed in a pair of two tone denim jeans with a random oversized graphic t-shirt tucked in the front.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket as she made her way downstairs, she slipped the device from her pocket, it was a message from Kiara, just seeing her name made her smile.

meet us by the surf shop

She typed a quick response as she entered the kitchen.

"Good morning!" she smiled to her uncles.

"Someone's awfully happy," Jessie teased her.

"Just woke up in a good mood," she shrugged, the moments of last night still lingering in her brain as she grabbed a bottle of orange juice from the fridge, "I'm going to hang out with my friends, I'll try to be back tonight, but I'll text you if something changes"

Jessie nodded as she rushed off, riding her bike into town, finding the brown van parked on the street, Kiara and Sarah walking towards it.

"She's alive!" Kiara teased as Brenna started to walk her bike.

"Only a few tears shed and some family secrets shared but I think my uncles trust me again," she shrugged leaving her bike against the fence that lined the street.

"Everything okay?" Sarah asked, the three girls standing beside the open van door, JJ and John B turning to listen.

"Yeah just turns out my mom was helping Big John look for the royal merchant," Brenna sighed.

"What!" John B peaked up.

She ducked into the van, "Yeah, he offered to give her a cut of the money to help my grandparents when they were in debt with the shop"

"What would she know about the merchant?"  John B questioned.

"I don't know," Brenna shrugged getting into the back of the van, Kiara and Sarah following her in.

They drove to pick up Pope, who filled them all in on what he found out from his grandma, the biggest thing being that his family was related to Denmark Tanny, yeah like the guy who freed all the slaves and brought all the gold on land. They also told Brenna how Heyward had been attacked over this whole key thing.

They now stood out on the creek, under a wooden covering, all with a drink in hand, Brenna sat up on a cooler with Kiara, Sarah on the other side of her.

"I still can't believe that you're related to Denmark Tanny!" John B patted Pope on the shoulder, JJ nodded, "Are we in the presence of a royal?"

Brenna and Sarah both laughed.

"Should I get up and bow?" Brenna looked at a smiley Pope, who JJ pretended to crown, everyone bowing at Pope.

"All hail the lord of Tannyhill," JJ said with an accent.

"Everybody relax, can we relax please?" Pope blushed as everyone bowed.

"Relocate the cat's ass, question mark?" Sarah smiled looking around at the group.

"I'm with that," JJ pointed to Sarah, as she took a sip of her beer.