22

Brenna finally went home at midnight after hours of gossiping and giggling with Sarah like when they were younger. That was her favorite thing about her and Sarah, things never felt different between them.

Brenna was lucky to avoid her Uncles when she got home, she still hadn't had an actual conversation with them since midsummers.

She quietly made her way up stairs, showering off the sweat and dirt of the day, also taking a moment to clear her head. She changed into pajamas before getting into her bed, the moon lighting up her room.

She rolled over ready to fall asleep, but a knock on her window made her jump.

She sat up in bed, squinting at her window.

"Rafe?" she asked herself as she pulled off her covers and went towards the window. As she got closer she could see his tear stained cheeks.

She rushed to open the window, "What are you doing here? Are you okay?"

"I know you don't want to see me, but can I come in?" he asked. Brenna nodded opening the window all the way so he could slide in.

"Are you okay? Why are you crying?" she asked worried, holding his face with her hands, one of her thumbs wiping a tear from his cheek.

He sniffled, "Uhm no, can I stay here tonight?"

"Why can't you go home?" she asked staring at him confused.

"My dad, uh, he kicked me out," he explained.

"What? Why?" her hands dropped from his face.

"I got into a situation with Barry," he sighed.

"Is that what happened to your wrist huh?"

He nodded.

"God, damn it Rafe," Brenna shook her head turning away from him, annoyed.

"I'm sorry," he sighed.

"You should be sorry to yourself, not me"

Brenna took a deep breath, "Theres towels under the sink, go clean up"

Brenna knew she was doing it again, letting Rafe into her life, knowing she shouldn't. Knowing he would just fuck up again.

Brenna went to grab a change of clothes from the pile that was still sitting in the laundry room that was meant to be donated but still hadn't been, then she got back into bed while she waited for him.

Rafe returned a few minutes after she returned.

"I grabbed you some clothes," Brenna pointed to the clothes at the end of her bed. He said a quiet thank you as he grabbed the clothes and went to change.

Brenna laid down and got comfortable in her bed, beyond tired from everything that had happened.

A few minutes later the other side of the bed sank, Rafe slid under the sheets.

"I'm sorry," he whispered looking up at the ceiling.

"It's okay," Brenna rolled over on her back, looking over at him.