Doctor's appointment

Elias

I told Owen I would be late but didn't tell him why. After the wedding then we would drop our bombshell.

I took Tori to the doctor. We waited until they called us back. After a couple of patients were seen, the nurse showed us to an exam room. She gave Tori paper to change into so the doctor could examine her. I sat in a chair while she changed. Then she got on the table.

"If the doctor confirms the pregnancy, should we ask about your deafness?"

"I hadn't thought about the possibility."

Tori furrowed her brows. I sat forward and rubbed my hands together. My parents didn't know about my deafness until I was born. I didn't want to think about our child going through the same thing.

The doctor came into the room. "Well, the pregnancy test is positive. Let's see how far along you are. Lay down."

Tori laid back on the table. The doctor examined her and took measurements. Then he pushed a machine over to her. I got up from my chair and stared at the screen as he turned it on. Then saw this little bean.

"What is that?" Tori asked the doctor.

"That's the baby." The doctor smiled.

I crept towards the screen and stared at our baby. It was so tiny. Tori and the doctor talked while I stared at the screen. I never thought I would meet someone and have kids. Every girl I dated didn't want to deal with my deafness. I wanted this baby more than anything.

"Elias?"

I looked at Tori.

"Are you okay?"

"Is it bad that I'm happy?"

Tori smiled. "No, it isn't."

"Okay, I'm happy." I grinned.

Tori laughed.

The doctor took pictures, then talked to us.

"I'm estimating Tori's due date February 25. But it depends when the baby arrives."

"Doctor, what about Elias's deafness? Is there a chance the baby will be deaf?" Tori asked.

I waited.

"There's a chance, but it doesn't mean the baby will be deaf. When babies develop, it depends on the baby. Some babies have issues, while others are fine. There's no rhyme or reason. I can suggest making sure you eat properly, get enough rest, and take care of yourself. I'll monitor the pregnancy. Right now, you have a life growing inside of you. Cherish it. I'll see you in a month."

The doctor left so that Tori could dress.

I leaned against the table with my arms crossed. Tori finished dressing. She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Elias, it doesn't matter what happens. We'll love the baby no matter what."

I wrapped my arms around Tori's waist. "I know. But seeing a baby on that screen was incredible. We created that little bean. I never thought I would have kids or a family."

"Why? Because you dated dipshit girls."

I rolled my eyes.

Tori laughed.

"Yeah, because I dated dipshit girls. I would rather date a tomboy who enjoys sitting on my brother's head."

Tori chuckled as I laughed. I leaned in and captured her lips. Then we broke from our kiss and left the doctor's office. Tori had to get to the newspaper, and I needed to make a few adjustments to the house. Owen would kill me for the changes. I didn't care. It's better to do it now than later.