Correcting an issue

Bradley

Last night, Kain asked me if I wanted to talk about what happened. I told him I was okay. It wouldn't matter. Nothing would change my situation.

I opened my shop, turned on the lights, then got to work. After twenty minutes, the door chimed. I sighed and covered the item I was working on. I walked to the counter and stopped.

Elias stood in my shop.

"I'm working on a project."

"Can we talk?"

I sighed and stepped towards the counter.

"I was wrong."

I stared at Elias.

"I held the past against you, but I shouldn't have. You're right. I knew how you felt to have people treat me differently. I had to fight my entire life with my deafness. You develop tunnel vision forgetting other people are fighting battles of their own. I'm sorry."

"I never like the way my dad treated people or us. He would rather let people suffer than help them. He thought women should be seen and not heard. Hopes and dreams were useless. The truth is, I love working with wood. I found something I enjoy."

"That's why I want you as my cabinet guy."

"What?"

Elias stepped towards the counter. "Bradley, you make quality cabinets and countertops. You put extra care into your product, making sure it doesn't injure children. I would be a fool to lose you as an employee."

I knitted my brows. "Are you offering me a position?"

"I would pay for the supplies while paying you a salary, along with full benefits. Owen and I are moving locations to a building. We're hiring in-house crews and not outsourcing work. The community needs jobs, and we need help. It's your decision."

My brows lifted as I stared at Elias. "Would I have a workshop?"

"A workshop, tools, and workers. You'll need help to keep up with the demand."

"What about my materials here?"

"We'll move it to the new building."

I didn't know what to say. The opportunity was excellent. I thought about my life. I fought to forge my path without my past affecting me.

"I accept."

Elias smiled as I smiled.

"What project are you working on?"

"What?"

"You said you were working on a project. What is it?"

It's something I was messing with."

"Can I see it?"

"Uh, okay." I led Elias to the shop and walked over to the project. I removed the cloth cover, revealing a cradle. "I wanted to thank you for giving me an opportunity. So, I thought I would make you and Tori a baby gift."

Elias walked towards the cradle, crouched next to it, and ran his hand along with the wood.

"It's unfinished. I need to finish a few pieces, then stain it and apply a clear coat."