Children

Oliver

I prepared for Nash's wedding, figuring out how I wanted to conduct their wedding. Jordin cried. I set my pen down and got up from my seat, then lifted Jordin out of his bouncer and prepared a bottle.

"You make it difficult for daddy to work."

After making the bottle, I set Jordin down. I tried to feed him, but he kept crying. Okay, plan B. I put on a baby swaddle, situated Jordin in it, and fed him while working on my sermon. He called down and sucked on his bottle.

Conner entered the kitchen, stopped, and chuckled. "Someone has you wrapped around his little finger."

"It was an easy solution. I'm not so sure about Nash's wedding."

Conner joined me at the table. "Do what you do best? Let people enjoy themselves."

"It's difficult when you're waiting for the hammer to drop."

Conner blew air past his lips. Kayden was still trying to locate the birth parents of Jordin. Erin has made surprise home visits. Focusing on a wedding was the last thing on my mind.

My phone rang. I answered it. "Hello? What? Okay, I'll be there." I hung up, moved Jordin, and handed him to Conner.

"What's going on?"

"Pax called and said there's a light on in the chapel."

Conner cradled Jordin as I grabbed my keys and jacket, then left. I remember turning off the lights. Why would a light be on?

*******
After arriving at the chapel, I checked the doors. They were locked. I checked around and found a lower window opened. What in the hell?

I entered the chapel from the back and checked it out. Everything seemed okay. I closed and locked the window and headed for the exit when I heard noises. I crept towards the chapel, found a girl sitting in the front pew, and recognized the girl. Her family attended church.

"Sara?" I asked.

Sara looked at me.

I walked towards her. "Is everything okay?"

She returned to staring at the front.

I sat down next to her. "If you need to talk, I'm all ears."

Sara said nothing.

"Or we can sit here and stare at Jesus. I found he helps calm the soul."

"Do we go to hell if we do something bad?"

"It depends on the sin. God forgives us if we show penance."

"What if you do something horrible?"

"I'm sure we exaggerate the extent of the sin."

"You talked about protecting children in church." Sara glanced at me.

I nodded.

"I'm going to hell."

"Why?"

"Because I abandoned my baby."

My brows lifted.

Sara looked at her hands as she fidgeted. "My parents don't know that I had gotten pregnant, so I hid the pregnancy. I gave birth and had my boyfriend leave the baby at the hospital."

"How did you manage to hide a pregnancy and labor?"

"I wore baggy clothes. My boyfriend and I lied and rented a motel room. I gave birth in the room. It makes me a horrible person."