Kick

Tori

I've learned one thing about pregnancy. It's flipping exhausting. Besides working and settling into married life, I'm housing a human being. What made it bearable was experiencing everything that went along with pregnancy, like the first time the baby kicked.

Elias and I were at Matt and Nora's house with my parents and playing cards. Matt dealt the cards as we collected our hands. Then something kicked me. I stopped and waited.

Thump.

Elias looked at his hand while I sat next to him.

Thump.

My brows raised. Oh, well, someone's awake. I tugged on Elias's sleeve.

"Tori, you're not looking at my cards."

Thump.

I tugged again.

"Stop cheating."

Thump.

I tapped Elias as our parents looked at us.

"What?" Elias gave me an annoyed look.

I grabbed his hand and placed it on my stomach.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Wait. Is that the baby?"

"It seems Junior is awake." I smiled.

Elias's brows lifted as he felt the baby kick. Then our parents got into the mix. They wanted to feel the baby kick. And boy, did the baby kick. That goober kicked me the entire time we played cards. Yeah, my enthusiasm wore off quickly.

Then the baby got restless and moved around in my belly. We had to stop playing cards and move to the living room. Have you ever felt a baby move into your rib cage? It's not fun.

"I'm guessing pregnancy is fun," Nora said.

"It has its moments," I said.

"Well, you were quite the mover. I didn't think you would ever quit moving," Mom said.

I rolled my eyes as everyone laughed.

"It's amazing," Elias said.

We glanced at him.

"I love knowing we'll have a son. I can't wait to meet him." Elias smiled at me.

The one thing I can say about my husband is he's ecstatic about the baby. The man has read every baby book known to man.

"Oh, we need to discuss a baby shower," Mom said.

"Since the baby is due near the end of February, we could have it on January 31," Nora said.

"What about Gabe and Nate's wedding?" I asked.

"We're still having their wedding. It's not like we don't have a billion events happening around the same time," Mom said.

Elias snickered.

"Well, Gabe suggested that I don't stand up at his wedding."

"He did what!" Mom stood up.

Elias placed his palm on his face.

"Excuse me. I have a small matter to deal with concerning Gabriel." Mom stormed out of the room.

Nora chased after her.

"This wedding will be fun," Dad said.

Matt rolled his eyes.