Settling into married life

Elias

After we returned, the family gave us a few days to get settled. Okay, that's a lie. They showed up the next day to see us. Yeah, our family couldn't wait. Mom and Sydney talked to Tori about the baby.

My brothers teased me about being an old married man. I beat their asses. I might be married, but it doesn't mean that they're not fair game.

I helped Tori make food for everyone. Everyone stared at their plates.

Tori rolled her eyes. "I learned how to cook."

I snickered. Yeah, no one forgot about Thanksgiving when the turkey took a dirt nap on the floor.

Surprisingly, Tori did get better with her cooking. Between Gabe and our mothers, she improved with her cooking skills.

We sat around and discussed the next wedding.

"Who the hell gets married on Halloween?" Nate asked.

"Oliver does," Deacon and I said.

"Did Oliver get his wedding sorted out?" Dad asked.

"Aunt Luna gave Mason the smackdown, making Mason concede," I said.

"That doesn't surprise me. Ma said her sisters straightened out the kids' asses. I say let the kids decide. It's their weddings."

I couldn't disagree. A wedding isn't about others but the couple.

"Well, Jayden is next, then Kayden's wedding follows," Deacon said.

After Jayden's wedding, he's moving to finish his schooling. Kayden is moving closer to his job. Nash and Grayson would follow suit after their weddings. Owen and Oliver were staying in town because Owen is my partner, and Oliver runs the chapel.

Everyone was starting their families and moving on with their lives. It happens with most families. Then some return later.

Eventually, everyone left. I helped Tori clean up the kitchen. Then we settled on the couch and watched a movie. Married life suits us.

******
Tori

Elias and I met with the new doctor. He examined me. Then we explained our concerns to him. The doctor listened until we finished.

"We'll monitor the pregnancy and the baby. With deafness, it can't be detected until the baby is born when we run tests. Elias failed his hearing tests."

"Is there a chance the baby will be born deaf?"

"There's a fifty-fifty chance."

I furrowed my brows. Elias squeezed my hand.

"I won't tell you not to worry. But I'll tell you that I'll take care of you and the baby. From examining you, you're progressing as you should. The baby is thriving." The doctor smiled.

"We didn't want to wonder if the baby inherited my deafness," Elias said.

"Elias, every child comes into this world without the parents knowing if there are issues. We can catch some issues, but some we don't discover until after the birth. I won't risk the mother or the baby's life during delivery. If I need to take the baby, I will."

The doctor's reassurance made me feel better.

"Do you want to hear the heartbeat?"

Our brows lifted as the doctor smiled. He rolled over a machine and placed a microphone on my stomach, then turned it on.

Whoom, whoom, whoom.

"The baby has a strong heartbeat."

Elias squeezed my hand as tears fell down my cheeks. I never thought I would love a sound as much as I do now.