Grammy

Elias

As much as I hate weddings, I detest funerals. At weddings, people are happy. At funerals, you mourn loved ones.

I spoke with my brothers and cousins as Oliver strode over to me and handed me an envelope.

I took the envelope from him. "What's this?"

"Grammy's final wish was for you to give her eulogy."

Everyone glanced at me.

"Why me?"

"She said you would be exceptional and had faith in you."

I knitted my brows.

Oliver headed to the front as everyone took their places. "Good afternoon, everyone. We come together to say goodbye to a beloved family member. Grief and love go hand in hand. We grieve for someone because we loved them. Each is powerful in its own right. Grammy Maggie chose for Elias to give her eulogy. Elias." Oliver sat down.

I rose from my seat, walked to the front, and stepped behind the podium. I opened the envelope and removed the contents, then read the letter.

Dearest family and friends,

I understood the heartbreak of losing someone. I suffered it when I lost Nash. We had our moments and difficulties, but our love prevailed.

I also understood the concept of family. I came from people who discarded me and found people who accepted me. Nate and Pat gave me something I desperately wanted - love and a family.

With Nate and Pat came five troublemaking brothers. People didn't understand the brothers, but I did. Yes, they weren't always pleasant or perfect. Who is?

The brothers impacted my life and showed me that you don't need to be blood to care about someone. Love doesn't extend to blood but to anyone that enters your life and stays. Sometimes, it comes from the neighborhood trouble-making boys.

I had the privilege and honor of being a part of the Gray family. Sometimes, a lonely girl needs people who will change her life and vice versus.

Now, since I left the spot for Grammy open, someone should take over for me.

I took a deep breath and exhaled.

The person who deserves the title helped keep many people in line while enduring their hardship. I watched this person overcome difficulties and accept people. The person has earned the title of Grammy.

No one deserves it more than Lyric.

I lifted my head as everyone looked at Nana, whose eyes widened.

Lyric understood loss better than anyone, loved Matthew when he acted unlovable, and accepted Elias without hesitation. She gave Michael a second chance with her parents, kept her siblings in line, and made us proud.

Lucille and Pat taught me that Grammy is more than a title. It's a way of life. It's enduring hardships but enjoying life. It's calming fears and loving without reservations. It's surviving a crazy family without losing your identity. It's everything.

Now, it's time to rest and pass the torch onto someone else.

Thank you for giving me what I needed - a family and love.

Love
Grammy Maggie

I folded the letter, placed it inside the envelope, and gave it to Nana. She stood up and hugged me. I moved to my seat and sat down next to Tori and the boys.