Decisions

Bradley

I arrived at the shop early and gathered all my materials. I sat at my bench and carved into the wood, creating a design. After I finished one door, I moved to the next. Then I sanded the wood, making it smooth.

Most companies use particleboard which is a composite of wood. It's cost-effective and cheap. When it gets wet, the wood swells and becomes damaged. I put a coating on the shelves to repel water. It costs a little more, but it's worth it.

I set my carving tool down and sighed. I spent the past four years trying to improve my life. I graduated high school and college while building cabinets. Kain had helped me find this small workshop to use.

Thanks to my dad, everyone I talked to about my cabinets declined them. They didn't want to associate with someone related to Don Wilson. I tried to date, but girls rejected me because of my past with Tori. Yeah, my life was grand.

I stared at the carvings until someone knocked on my shop door. I swiveled in my chair to see Elias and Owen. I got up from my chair and stepped towards them.

I knitted my brows. "Did you make a decision?"

"Owen wanted to see the cabinets," Elias said.

"Yeah, sure."

Owen followed me to the cabinets.

"Each set has its carvings. I installed hinges to prevent children from smashing their fingers. The shelves have a coating that repels water in case there's a leak. All wood is sanded, stained, and finished."

Owen tested the cabinets as I stood there.

"If there's a particular wood, I can pick it up and build it. You want to stay away from pine."

"How come?"

"Pine is soft and splits. I found Oak, Mahogany, Ash, Cherry, and Maple are the sturdiest for cabinetry and furniture."

"Wait. Do you build furniture?"

"Well, I've been dabbling in furniture. I can show you what I have if you would like?"

"Sure, why not?"

I led Owen and Elias to another room with the few pieces of furniture I made. They checked out the tables, chairs, bed frames, and dressers.

"Some of the pieces are used. I buy them and refurbish them."

Owen glanced at Elias. "This furniture are antiques. Do you know how much stores would charge for it?"

"A lot."

"I could give you a discount. The furniture is collecting dust."

Owen gave Elias a look.

"Excuse us," Owen said.

They left the room as I stood there. I sat down in a chair and sighed. I would do anything to sell my cabinetry and furniture. But people want to brand new items.

A few minutes later, Elias and Owen returned.

I rose from my seat. "You decided not to buy anything. I get it. Who would want to buy anything from someone like me? Thanks for considering me." I walked past them and went back to my workbench.

One day, I'll sell something.

"Do you always give up so easily?"

"Huh?" I turned to see Elias standing in the doorway.

"Most vendors hound us until we tell them to get lost. You accept no before someone says it.  Why?"

"I found it's easier to accept defeat and rejection. I'm used to it." I shrugged.