A breather

Elias

We got a break from weddings until Nash's wedding. The doctor also cleared Tori. It was like Donkey Kong. Any chance I got, we went at it like dogs. It's been a while, and I missed my wife. Tori wasn't complaining.

I came home and found Tori in the kitchen with Val. Val was lounging in his reclined high chair as Tori was washing dishes. I snaked my arms around her waist and nuzzled her neck.

"What are you doing?" Tori asked me.

"Whatever I want." I grazed her neck with my lips.

Then the doorbell chimed. I dropped my head.

"Saved by the bell." Tori pushed me aside and answered the door.

I turned to Val, who was moving his tongue past his lips. "Valentine, I need to dismantle the doorbell."

Val moved his brows up and down and kicked. I lifted him out of the high chair and supported his head. Tori came into the kitchen with Nate and Gabe. They were carrying their twins, Roman and Ryden. Please don't ask me where they found those names.

They set the carriers on the table as the twins slept.

"How's fatherhood?" I asked.

"Tiresome," Nate said.

"It helps that Nate gets to stay home for twelve weeks. The restaurant is busy," Gabe said.

"Sydney is dying to watch the boys when Nate returns to work," I said.

"What about Val?" Nate asked.

"Mom claimed Val."

"Mom works."

"She said she's taking a leave of absence."

Nate shrugged. Then something started smelling. I lifted Val. Phew. What the hell is Tori feeding him? I took Val to change him.

********
Tori

I finished the dishes and sat down at the table with Nate and Gabe.

"It surprises me that Elias changes diapers," Nate said.

"Your brother shares parenting duties," I said.

The twins woke up needing a feeding. Nate and Gabe unhooked them from their carriers. Nate prepared two bottles and fed both boys.

"You got the parenting down pat."

"The boys sleep most of the time, so it helps."

Elias returned with Val and handed him to me. "Next time, you get diaper duty."

"Then you wash the dishes."

Elias rolled his eyes. The front door opened and closed.

"Don't you knock?" Elias asked Deacon.

"Why? Your house is like Mom and Dad's house."

"I need to barricade my door."

I giggled. Gia took Val from me.

"Does someone have baby fever?" I asked.

"Not yet. We're waiting a while," Gia said.

"We can spend time with our nephews and give them back," Deacon said.

I chuckled. Elias rolled his eyes.

April was the only month we didn't have anything happening. Thank God. We needed a breather.

*******
Oliver

I straightened up the chapel. Conner opened the door and ran towards me.