A new job

Tori

Monday came way too soon. I dragged my butt out of bed and got ready for my first day. Payton told me business casual was acceptable and no converse. Well, phooey.

I came downstairs and had breakfast, then drove to the newspaper. I entered the bustling of people. People were typing and talking to each other. I headed to Payton's office and knocked on his open door. He lifted his head and waved me into his office.

I entered and sat in front of his desk. He handed me paperwork to fill out. Afterward, Payton showed me to my desk with a computer. I sat down in the computer chair.

"You'll be covering special interest pieces. People enjoy happy stories."

"Most people are miserable sods."

Payton chuckled. "True, but sometimes, it helps."

Payton, let me get to work. I opened a folder, and it was about someone winning a local contest. I read through the information, then turned on my computer. I brought up a template and started writing a story for the newspaper. It wasn't too bad. At least, the stories were fascinating.

******
Elias

Owen helped me carry in drywall. The electrician ran the wiring through the house while the plumber ran the pipes.

"How's impending fatherhood?"

"It's not bad. Wendy and I came to an understanding."

I arched a brow as we positioned the drywall, and Owen screwed it into place.

"I told her that the next time we have a kid, I had better be the first to know."

I chuckled.

"Who the hell tells other people before the father?"

"Wendy does." I smirked.

Owen rolled his eyes. "Is there a reason for building an eight-bedroom house?"

"I figure we could have guest rooms."

"Or a baseball team."

I rolled my eyes. Owen laughed. Kids are an iffy proposition. You don't know if your significant other can have children or if you have one or two. Plus, who knows when we would have kids.

Owen and I worked most of the day and evening, along with our crew. Our construction business was flourishing with offers coming in for us. We weren't taking any requests until after my honeymoon.

"So, Tori mentioned us getting a cabin."

"What's wrong with the family cabin?"

"Nothing, but we want a cabin of our own. I don't mind since we are starting a life together."

"What about kids?"

"We want to wait until we've been married a year."

"Good luck with that."

I shook my head. We worked until eight pm, then called it a night. Tomorrow, we would return to the house.

Before I went home, I stopped by Tori's house to hear about her first day. I tapped on her window sill. Her screen opened, and she stuck her head out.

"Did you just get home?"

"Yeah, but I want to hear about your first day before I had dinner."

"How about I order a pizza, and we can talk?"

"I like your way of thinking."

Tori grinned as I smiled. Even though I wanted to hear about Tori's first day, she made sure I ate. I couldn't wait to make her my wife.