Christmas angels

Elias

Christmastime arrived, and Tori had me decorate the house. It's a good thing I bought an artificial tree. I refuse to freeze my balls off, searching for a tree. Plus, I'm not a fan of sap and needles. I hated that shit while growing up.

We decorated the tree with garland, bulbs, candy canes, and ornaments. The doorbell rang. Tori answered it as Nana and Grandpa entered, carrying a bag. Tori closed the door and shuffled over to the tree.

"We brought you a gift," Nana said.

"But it isn't Christmas yet," I said.

"It's a tradition that my nana started."

I took the bag, removed a box, and opened it to reveal Christmas bulbs with our names on them.

"Oh, wow," Tori said.

"It's a family tradition for each member to receive a Christmas bulb," Nana said.

Grandpa handed me a gift bag. I pulled out a box, opened it, and revealed another bulb that said, Baby Harper.

"When you have the baby, he will receive a bulb with his name on it. Major gave one to Owen. I'm giving one to Nate later."

Tori and I stared at my grandparents as they smiled.

"Wait. What?" I asked.

"Matthew told us that Nate and Gabe are having twins via a surrogate. They're arriving a month after your baby," Nana said.

Tori and I snickered.

"So much for keeping it on the down-low," I said.

"Hey, we get babies," Nana said.

I couldn't disagree with Nana. Everyone was settling down, getting married, and having families. The family was expanding into future generations. It made me curious to see what the future held.

*******
Maggie

This Christmas, the brothers were spending it with their children and grandchildren. Kain and Kaiden were starting their own tradition with Kain's son and grandchildren. It would make Kat and Nixon proud. The kids were busy with their families and grandkids. I couldn't blame them for being excited about the impending arrivals.

I set up a tabletop tree and decorated it. A little Christmas cheer didn't hurt anyone. After trimming, I clicked on the lights and glanced at Nash's picture, which I set next to the tree.

"Well, hun, we can still spend Christmas together. Do you like my tree? I know it's not as big as the big trees you would drag home. But it's only me now. Hang on. I'll be right back." I shuffled to the kitchen to make hot cocoa.

*******
Elias

Dad opened the front door to Grammy's house as we snuck in. We hurried while listening to noises from the kitchen. Since Grammy is slow, it didn't take long. We finished, then hid.

******
Maggie

I came out of the kitchen and shuffled to the living room, then stopped. The living room had decorations around it. Presents appeared stacked around my little tree. What in the world?

My hearing aids started buzzing. I tapped them. Then someone held out their hand with hearing aids. I glanced at Elias smiling. I smiled, took the hearing aids, and replaced mine.

Elias guided me until I faced the family.

"Oh, my." I played with my heart necklace, trying not to cry.

"You didn't think we wouldn't spend Christmas with you, did you, Ma?" Lyric asked me.

"I didn't want to bother anyone. You all have busy lives."