People surprise you

Elias

Bradley arrived with the cabinets and countertops. Owen and I helped him unload it. Dad and Grandpa carried cabinets upstairs to the bathrooms. After unloading everything, Dad helped Bradley hang the top cabinets. Bradley made sure they were leveled.

It's a good thing that Owen and I ripped out the damaged cabinets. I told the previous company they could get their garbage and return my money. They argued until I threatened them with Greg. Yeah, don't piss off my soon-to-be father-in-law.

Grandpa and Dad helped Bradley with the countertop so he could cut the sinkhole. Then they set the countertop.

"Where's your crew?" Grandpa asked Bradley.

"Well, I can't afford one."

"What do you mean?"

"Elias is the first person to buy my cabinets. I'm grateful that he did and don't mind working."

"But cabinets are a lot of work."

"I know. But I'm good with finishing the job. Elias paid me for cabinets and the install."

"How much did you charge, Elias?"

"$2000. I figure it's a fair price."

Dad and Grandpa gave me a look. I rolled my eyes.

Dad pulled me aside. "Are you kidding me?"

"What? I asked him how much. He told me $2000."

"Elias, this kid made these cabinets and is installing them alone. Your grandpa and I replaced the cabinets in the house. I spent way more than $2000."

I put my hands on my hips and sighed.

"Pay the kid the right amount before I beat your ass. I don't care if you're twenty-six."

"Fine."

"If you ever pull another stunt like this, and I won't hesitate to drop you."

"I said I'll pay him more. Sheesh." I walked away. "I have a hormonal fiancée and an abrasive father."

******
Matt

I shook my head. Bradley undercut himself with his pricing. As much work as he puts into his cabinets, he deserves fair pricing. The material is solid and sturdy. It's much better than what most cabinet makers pawn off on people.

I helped Bradley with the upstairs cabinets, making sure they were centered.

"How long have you been making cabinets?"

"I start in high school. The woodshop teacher said I was a natural. So, I spent my free time building things. My dad would break what I made. He said that real men don't mess around with dollhouses."

"Wait. You built dollhouses."

"Yeah, and I made the little furniture for them. I was learning how to measure and cut wood. I sold one to a couple with a little girl. It even had real shingles. Then I built doghouses for shelters. That's how I learned about different types of wood."

"Elias loved to build things. I thought he would work on cars, but he chose construction."

"It's not a bad thing. People need houses. Plus, there's something about taking pride in what you do. I love the finished product."

Bradley talked about different woods, and his face lit up. People change over the years. I saw it firsthand with the boys.

"Bradley."

Bradley stopped and looked at me.

"I knew your father before you were born. I didn't like him then, and I don't like him now. I watched how he treated you and your brothers. Instead of fighting with my boys, why didn't you talk to someone about how he was treating you?"