Well, that's something

Elias

"Valentine!" Everyone said.

"What's wrong with Valentine?" I asked.

"Do you plan on having kids kick his ass in school?" Nate asked me.

"No one will kick his ass. Did you forget he has my DNA?"

"Where's Oliver?" Deacon asked.

"Why?"

"Because we need him to pray for our nephew."

I was ready to beat my brothers' asses.

"Well, I think his name suits him," Mom said.

"We can call him Val for short," Sydney reasoned.

Well, the mothers like the name. Nana and Grandpa arrived to meet Val. Nana held the baby as we told them his name.

"Well, the name fits," Nana said.

"Yeah, for someone born on Valentine's Day," Nate said.

"What's wrong with being born on Valentine's Day?

Dad placed his palm on his face as Grandpa stared at the ceiling.

"Who enjoys having their birthday on Valentine's Day?"

"Well, I do, as does your aunts and uncle since it's our birthday." Nana gave Nate a look.

Well, shit. My brother inserted his foot and choked on it.

"Nathaniel, you'll learn that not everyone enjoys smartass comments about their name or birthday."

Nana has spoken. Thank God. Nana handed Valentine to Grandpa.

Grandpa cradled Valentine. "Parents name a child that suits them. We chose Matthew because it was a strong name. Lyric picked Michael because she wanted Matthew to have a piece of me."

"Well, I love that Valentine chose his name," Tori said.

Everyone looked at Tori.

"Saint Valentine was the patron saint of happy marriages and love."

I smiled.

"And the plague."

My smile faded.

"So, if people don't love him, then I pity them." Tori smiled.

I placed my hand on my face. Leave it to my wife to find a reason for people not to make fun of Val.

"When people ask us, we'll say he got his name because he was born on Valentine's Day. We'll leave out the plague part," Gabe said.

Tori shrugged.

"I hate to break up this happy moment," Nate said.

"But you will," Deacon said.

Nate shot Deacon a look. Deacon shrugged.

"Gabe and I have to get going. Our plane is leaving in a few hours," Nate said.

Nate and Gabe hugged everyone, then left. The family stayed for a while, then gave us time alone. It wouldn't matter. We'll have visitors after we're home.

*******
Tori

Later, the doctor checked me to make sure everything was okay, then released us. Val's tests were normal, as were his lungs. He cried a lot.

We brought Val home, and that's when the shit hit the fan. If he wasn't hungry, he needed a change, and he cried. Boy, he cried. I wanted to cry—damn hormones. Then Elias held him, and he stopped.