Surprise

Tori

We had a gap between Nash and Grayson's weddings. June arrived with a bang. Everything was going well with our careers, and Val was thriving. He was hitting his milestones.

One was him sitting up. Elias supported him so he didn't fall over and smacked his head. When he wasn't sitting, he was rolling over. Babies amaze me.

Elias waved a toy in front of Val. "When should we have another one?"

"Shouldn't we enjoy the one we have first?"

"Yeah, but I wouldn't mind having another one."

"Because you aren't carrying the baby. Your contribution ends with fun.  I get to deal with everything else."

Elias rolled his eyes. Before we had a chance to discuss kids further, Elias's phone rang. He answered it. "Yeah? Oh, okay. I'll tell her. Bye." Elias ended the call.

"Who called?"

"Dad called and said Kayden and Amie had the baby."

I waited, but Elias didn't elaborate further. "What did they have, you goober?"

"Oh, they had a boy."

I gave Elias an annoyed look.

"What?"

"What's the baby's name?"

"Beats me. I didn't ask."

I groaned. "When someone calls and tells you they had a baby, you get information from them."

"Dad didn't have the baby. Kayden did."

I whipped a toy at Elias.

"What the hell, Tori?"

"Get your head out of your ass, Elias." I got up and stormed out of the room, shocking Elias.

What the hell is wrong with me?

*******
Elias

I got up, picked up Val, and went into the kitchen. Tori was leaning on the island with her head in her hands. I strode over to her. "Would you mind telling me why you lost your shit?"

Tori lifted her head. "I don't know. It's like everything annoys me."

"The last time you were moody, you were expecting Val."

Tori's eyes expanded. Well, shit.

*******
Tori

Elias returned from the grocery store with a bag full of pregnancy tests. I took one into the bathroom and peed on the stupid stick, then waited.

It didn't take long before two pink lines appeared. I whipped open the door and held up the test.

Elias looked at the results, then at Val. "It looks like you're getting a sibling."

I shook my head and threw my hands into the air. Couldn't we wait until Val was a year old before introducing a new person into the house? Ugh.

******
Elias

Have you ever met someone who wanted to rip your off? That would be my wife, especially when I told her that I forgot the raincoat.

"Why? Why would you forget the protection? You were in charge of one thing. Wear the damn raincoat!"

"It's not like you were complaining."

That was the wrong thing to say. An alarm clock whizzed by my head.