Matchmaking at its best

Bradley

I returned to the office and hunted down Elias and Owen. It wasn't difficult since they were in Elias's office.

"Did you measure the cabinets?" Elias asked me.

"Yeah, after I helped clean up the mess the tornados created," I said.

"Tornados? It's not even storming season," Owen mentioned.

I gave Owen an annoyed look. Elias rolled his eyes. Owen shrugged.

"Why would you destroy cabinets that are a year old?" I asked them.

"How do you know it was us?" Owen asked me.

Elias gave Owen a skeptical look.

"Well, no one broke into the house, and Hazel is Wendy's cousin. I'm not an idiot, but I wonder about you."

Owen glared at me as Elias chuckled.

"Hazel had enough money set aside for the cabinets but can't afford to replace the broken dishes. I said I would check on a discount," I mentioned.

"How much of a discount?" Elias asked me.

"Forty percent, and I'll wave my installation fee."

"What?" Owen asked me.

"Why should Hazel pay for your actions? It's not right. You took it upon yourselves to wreck someone's home. If you don't want to pay for the replacement, then I'll help her."

"Bradley, you don't know this woman. Why are you willing to help her?" Elias asked.

"Because I understand what it's like to struggle, and no one helps you. I spent years depending on myself. Plus, Hazel is nice."

"Okay. We'll cut the price and reimburse you for the installation cost."

I nodded and headed to the shop to start work on the cabinets and counters. I learned a long time ago that most people would rather watch you drown than throw you a life preserver. My dad was one of those people.

******
I left the shop and headed to the hospital. After checking in, a nurse showed me to a room where Tim was sitting at a table putting a puzzle together. I sat down as she stayed nearby.

"Hey, Tim."

"Hey."

"The doctor said you were doing better."

Tim focused on his puzzle.

"Conner told me that he's adopting a baby."

Tim said nothing. I dragged my fingertip back and forth on the table. Conner quit visiting Tim. Our dad is in jail. Mom disappeared. I figure if I saw Tim, it would help him. It's not like I have anyone waiting for me at home.

"If you don't want to talk, we'll sit here."

"Thanks."

"What?"

Tim lifted his head and gazed at me. "You're the only one who visits me."

"You're my brother." I shrugged.

"People say I'm crazy."

My brows knitted together.

"The voices are quiet. The doctor said the medication silences them."

"Did the voices make you hurt Tori?"

"They said Tori was bad. She destroyed everything. If she weren't here, everything would be fine."