Day by day

Bradley

It said that time heals all wounds. How does time heal a broken heart? Conner had Oliver to help him. I had no one.

I remember when we were younger, Tim would take me for walks. We would talk about school, cars, which movie sucked, and music. We would explore the backwoods and climb trees. People saw someone with problems, but to me, Tim was my brother.

I worked on cabinets while thinking about Tim. My anger exploded as I ripped off a door and whipped it across the shop room. Then I picked up a cabinet and smashed it, kicking the broken pieces. Tears fell as I unleashed my anger on the wood.

I stopped and glanced at Elias standing in the doorway. "Sorry, I'll pay for the damages." I started cleaning up the wood fragments, brushing the tears away with the back of my sleeve.

Someone touched my shoulder. My head craned to see Elias. He pulled me into a hug as I cried. Elias surprised me. He let me cry without losing his temper.

Afterward, we sat and talked.

"It doesn't seem real," I said.

"Why?"

"It feels like a nightmare that I can't wake up from."

"Grief sucks. You miss the person every day. There are things you want to tell them but can't. You want to hug them, but they're not here. But there's no time frame on grief."

"But I don't have anyone. Conner has Oliver and his family. I have a room at someone's house."

"You have me, my family, and others."

"It's not the same." I shook my head.

"Bradley, family isn't always blood."

I furrowed my brows.

"Family comes from anyone who cares about you. They comfort you when you need it, but they love you without strings attached."

"Elias, you have a new baby and wife. I can't expect to take your time away from them. I'm not my dad."

"No, you're not. You're someone who understands the importance of family. Bradley, you're nothing like your old man."

I nodded.

"Look, if you need to talk, I'll listen."

"Whoa. I'm guessing the cabinets weren't working," Owen said.

Elias's head whipped around. "Don't you have crew members to yell at?"

"I'm on my way to the construction site. I came to get Bradley. Hazel is in the showroom and has questions."

I sighed, rose from my seat, and left the shop.

******
Elias

Owen strolled over to me. "How's Bradley doing?"

"He feels alone and doesn't feel anyone cares about him."

"His dad did a number on him and his brothers."

"It surprises me that Hazel is here. We scheduled her cabinets for next week."

"Well, a little birdy might have put a bug in her ear and pushed up the installation date." Owen looked around.

I shook my head and chuckled. Owen grinned. That's why Owen and I are partners.

*******
Bradley

I came out to the showcase room as Hazel was waiting. I blew air past my lips and strode towards her.

"Owen said he could get me an earlier installation date. I wasn't sure if you would have the cabinets ready," Hazel said.