CLXII- An Unusual Encounter

Hello my lovelies!!! I know how long it's been but I started a new job and this one doesn't let me write during work. That being said I promise I will finish this book. I still write every day (Just in smaller increments.) The ending has been mapped out and planned out so don't worry! I love you all, I love this story. Thank you all so much for the support and as always, don't forget to comment and vote! Enjoy!!!

---------------------------------

    The night was a rough one. Katie couldn't sleep for more than two hours at a time before needing either water or from the gagging. "I'm never drinking again." She groaned, at least three times.

    By the morning, I'm in the kitchen making pancakes, toast, and coffee. "It's a lot of carbs but the bread is good for you." I say, pushing the plate towards her.

    Katie nods and picks up her fork, "Where are you headed this early?"

    I accidentally knock the bottle of syrup over. It falls over in a thud and starts pouring out of the side, getting the stickiness all over the counter. "Shit." I curse, picking it up and moving it over to the sink. I answer Katie's question as I wash off the sticky bottle. "I have to talk to Professor Sam about a letter of recommendation. I've applied to internships in March, but without the recommendation the upperclassmen have seniority."

    Katie cuts into her pancake and grimaces, "Even with the recommendation that could be tough. You might be better off just waiting until next year."

    I shrug and grab my purse and keys, "I guess we'll find out. Mind locking up on your way out?" Katie nods and wishes me luck as I leave.

    Walking on campus this late in the year takes me a second to adjust. It was cold the last time I was here, and I would have to dress in layers. It was nice at the time, being able to cover up the bruises. I shrug the thought off and continue to Sam's office. On the way there I pass Shawn's old classroom, with the door open and an older woman inside of it. She fixes her clothes and adjusts her posture, then she's out of my eyesight.

    Students are piling out of Sam's by the time I get there. Kids my age are all rushing closer to their summer. I wait until the last person is gone to knock on the open classroom door. Sam looks up immediately, his eyes narrowing in on me. "Livia," He clears his throat. "What can I do for you?"

    I take a step over the threshold. "I know it's been a while, but I was wondering if the offer on the recommendation was still available?" I bite my lip, nervous that I'm stupid for even showing up. That his moment of generosity was just a fluke.

    He stands up and leans immediately back on his desk. His navy blue collared shirt wrinkles under the wood. "I think it can be reopened, if you tell me where you've been this past semester. You and Shawn both just left at the same time. Right after I saw you with that guy." The guy being Dean. I guess he really didn't have a clue.

    "Shawn got a better job offer elsewhere and accepted. That's where he went." I say first. Deliberately waiting for him to ask for me to add.

    "And you?" Sam questions with no hesitation.

               I take a second to get my thoughts together. "That guy you saw with me in the library was my ex. He hurt me and that's why I had to leave. I went back home for the semester." I've never been able to just tell someone. The thought of someone else knowing terrifies me. But Sam was involved. There were a few seconds of hope when I saw him in that library. I hoped that he would see what was going on and get me out of there. Hope to get out unscathed. That being said, I don't blame him for not realizing. We barely know each other.