CVI- Nothing Stays Hidden

Livia's P.O.V.

I was surprised to hear about Katherine and Shawn's goodbye the other day. I can't deny that it made me realize just how much of a past they have together but not in a bad way. She did a lot of stupid stuff but at the end of the day, she's still a person. One that I have to admit, I'm glad I won't be hearing from anymore. Despite that, what Shawn did was really sweet and reminds me of the man I fell in love with. I'm so lucky to have him.

"Good afternoon, Livia."

"Professor Sam." I greet as I set my bag down beside my desk.

The classmate I'm tutoring isn't here yet so I take a seat. "Have you decided what you're doing after this semester?" Sam asks, more than six feet away from me.

I shake my head, "What do you mean?"

Sam crosses his arms over his chest and leans back on his desk. Then he looks pointedly at me. "For your internship?"

I shrug, "I just figured it was ending once I'm out of your class."

He chuckles, "That's not how internships work. You're supposed to grow and get more experience." Sam grabs some papers from his desk and walks over to hand them to me.

"What are these?"

"They're internships pertaining to your major. They won't start until the next fall semester and normally they're only for juniors and seniors. However, I'll write you a letter of recommendation. This, paired with your prior experience as Morgan's TA should get you in early." I'm surprised by his kindness but make sure to look over the internships he handed me.

Still, I have to question his motives. "Why are you willing to help me?"

He grimaces lightly. "Because I was an ass. You've actually been extremely helpful this semester. Even though you won't be back, I figured you could be of use to some other places around here."

"Oh." I say. "Thank you." I'm left to wonder why the sudden change of heart? Then again, I was taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth. So, I put the papers gently in my backpack at the same time Jonathan walks in for tutoring. Sam and I go back to not speaking unless it's criminal justice related.

I leave after Jonathan. It's about five by the time I make it back to my dorm. I'm about to open the door to go inside when I hear Katie yelling. "I can't believe you would do something like this!"

"Katie what did you want me to do? Your dad was going to get you kicked out of here just out of spite!"

I hear some shuffling before Katie speaks again. "I don't need your money. You didn't even ask me first and now I have to find a way to pay you back."

"No you don't, I was just trying to help."

"I don't need your help Jack, I was fine!" She shoots back.

Jack's voice is softer now but I can still hear him loud and clear, "What was I supposed to do? You would've had to move back home and I would never be able to see you."

"So you did this for you?" She questions rhetorically.

Jack pauses before saying, "Yeah. I guess I did."

And that was it, the conclusion of their fight. There's some more shuffling before the door knob begins to turn. I jump back to reveal Jack walking out. Once he closes the door behind him, he notices me. "I-I was just-"