CLXIII- To Date or Not to Date

I only remember staying awake for half of the movie. I had fallen asleep on the couch, presumably with Ty. This morning I wake up in my bed and Ty is gone. He must've moved me here.

I check my phone and there's a text from him saying to call him when I'm up. So I find his contact and wait for Ty to pick up. He answers on the second ring. "Good morning." He immediately says.

"Morning. What time did you leave last night?"

Ty chuckles, "When I couldn't take the snoring anymore."

I scoff, "I don't snore."

"Yeah that's what they all say." All being women? I shake the thought off. "I actually left after the movie. Didn't want to overstay my welcome."

"No I-" I pause to get my thoughts together. "I liked hanging out. Even though it was short lived."

His tongue clicks, "Well, why don't we get together again? Do you work at the diner today?"

"No, I'm off. Get together as in...a date?" I don't know if I'm ready for that. My palms begin to sweat and my heart races as I wait for his reply.

Ty leaves me hanging for thirty seconds, "We're friends right?"

"Right." I let out a deep breath. "I have class until two."

I begin to play with a loose thread in my blanket. "Until then."Our conversation ends and the phone clicks.

The call clicks and disconnects. I pull the phone away from my ear and look at the screen, "Very mysterious, Ty." I say more to myself.

I'm in the shower when I hear a knock on my front door. I get out and dry off before getting in a robe so I can answer it. "Coming!" I yell as the knocking continues. The second I open the door, I freeze.

"Hey, Livia." Hunter half smiles and looks up at me with a black eye.

I suck in a breath at the sight of him. My immediate thought is-"What did Seth do?"

At this, Hunter's half smile fades and he shakes his head. "Oh no. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you think-" He sighs. "I got into a fight with someone at school." Hunter points to his eye. "And I obviously lost."

My shoulders relax at his words. Not because he's hurt but because it wasn't Seth. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great actually. I'll take the fact that you still care as a sign we're still friends?" I see the guilt behind his eyes and feel it too.

I open my door and let him come inside. "How did you find my place?" I changed the subject, not wanting to talk about Seth, or what happened.

Denial is my defense mechanism. "I ran into Katie and she told me you got your own place near campus. I asked her for the address." Hunter looks around and stuffs his hands in his pockets. "It's nice."

"Thanks.." This is so awkward. Us tiptoeing around each other. I shake my head and move into the kitchen, grabbing two waters from the fridge and handing one to Hunter. He takes it. "So why did you stop by?" We move over to the couch and take a seat.

Hunter takes a drink of his water before answering. "I wanted to see how you were doing. Maybe get a read on our friendship?"

I pause. I feel terrible that Hunter and I stopped talking. I guess I've just been uncertain of his thoughts on the situation. "I'm not mad at you, Hunter. After everything you've done for me, I wouldn't end our friendship over a guy."

Hunter puts his hands in his lap and looks down at them. "He wasn't just a guy though. He was your friend too." Not to mention the fact that Hunter is in love with him.