(17) NO BETTER PLACE TO DIE THAN A PARTY, RIGHT?

Christen freezes.

Tonight is Westside High's annual beginning of the year party, and as a tradition that has been settled since the early 1960s, it could be broken under no circumstances - especially when the town had lost one of its best member, Lindsey Horan. While the police seemed to be hitting dead ends, the students needed to reassure themselves and use alcohol as a way to forget all about their current problems - for some, it was the union of the two schools ; for others, the recent high schoolers murders ; for a handful, it especially had to do with weird supernatural events occurring lately.

Either way, tonight was all about partying very hard, as the school had been transformed in one big ballroom with loud music and non-alcoholic cocktails, in which Kelley and Crystal had already put some gin or rum while the teachers weren't watching. 

When Christen enters the main room, all eyes briefly turn on her: her yellow women's suit with a large neckline highlighting her chest coupled with her perfect face and dreamy green eyes made her one of the most beautiful girls in here at all times. Slightly blushing, but not showing it, the dark-haired advances to the side of the room near the drinks, where her friends were lining up: Kelley was already drunk, as Crystal, Tobin and Megan seemed to already be in a deep conversation about God-knows-what. 

Excusing herself, she finds her way to the food, and starts stress-eating some carrots and appetisers, before taking a few shots of alcohol when she goes back to her friends. 

"C'mon, floating gal" Megan whispers into her ear, playful, meaning to make her laugh. As Christen grunts, the short-haired adds: "You've deserved a break from all this shit more than anyone else. Cheers!"

As she had said that loudly for the group of friends to hear, the others yell 'cheers' and they all drink their glasses bottoms up. 

When others join the party, like Emily Sonnett for instance, Christen decides to go and light herself a cigarette just outside, where nobody was ever going since she had found a secret spot over the years. 

She sits down on the ground, relieved to have finally found a moment for herself: ever since the incident (aka her floating in the air like a possessed bitch) occurred, Tobin and Megan wouldn't leave her alone without monitoring, in case of something like that happened again. While she was grateful to have some thoughtful friends, Christen was scared enough as it is, and she surely did not need extra pressure. 

She starts feeling dizzy, as a voice behind her says:

"Hola guapa" (English: Hi, beautiful)

Feeling shivers on her whole back, Christen does not even have to look up in order to know who just appeared. In the meantime, the other girl sits down next to her, lighting her own cigarette up, staring right in front of her, and then at Christen.

Mapi let her hair down, as she was wearing a black suit pretty similar to Christen's, in which she was insanely hot. Setting her jaw, Christen asks:

"What are you doing here, Marìa?"

The blonde smirks, a seductive smile on her face.

"Do you really think I'd come here if it wasn't to see someone in particular ?" Mapi slowly states with a wry smile, quite amused by Christen's current blush. As the other girl remains silent, she continues: "Besides, you haven't been around lately, so I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Oh my God, Christen thinks to herself, quite alarmed, why does she have to always find the perfect words? How am I supposed to keep a straight face now? 

Sensing her panic, Mapi goes on and softly grabs Christen's hand.

It takes the dark-haired a few seconds to take her own hand back, as shivers were running through her back. 

"You won't let go, won't you?" Christen asks, quite nervous.

Mapi frowns.

"I'll let you go if you want me to, Christen" the blonde ends up saying, a smirk on her face again. With that said, she gets up and adds: "But until you say the words, I'll keep on hoping that you'd lower your guards and let me in."

She then leans forward, as her lips barely touch Christen's cheek - still, it was enough to make her whole body shiver, as Mapi starts walking away, knowing very well the effect she just had on the girl she wanted.

Christen sighs: those next few weeks are going to be very complicated...

***

"Ladies and gentlemen, your Westside High's Student Body President: Crystal Dunn !"

The room bursts in applauds, as Crystal walks up on the stage, making a few dance moves on her way to amuse her audience. She could even see some Eastsiders that dared to come applaud her with smiles on their faces, as she grabs the mic with confidence. 

She takes a deep breath, before stating in a clear voice: 

"Dear students, dear friends: I officially announce to you the beginning of the 64th edition of the beginning of the year's party, which is held in loving memory of Lindsey Horan, departed too soon... (as she stares in front of her in the audience, she crosses eyes with Shelina Zadorsky, and the time seems to stop for a moment. Quite after, she continues, surprising everybody:)...  As well as fellow high schoolers from the Eastside, because we are all in the same deep shit for once: Alex Morgan and Caitlin Foord. (shy applauses burst out, as Crystal's friend all stare at her in disbelief and surprise, while Shelina frowns in shock). Let the party begin my friends!"

Just as the music starts playing - some old 1980s rock music - a loud noise comes from the ceiling, before it completely breaks above Crystal's head.

A red liquid comes down pouring all over the girl, who screams, joining the screams of other of her school mates, since the whole room now is on a state of shock. 

Her eyes wet in the red liquid, Crystal did not see the body just dropping from the ceiling onto the stage, as someone jumped in front of her to push her aside, because Crystal seemingly was on the body's course.

Wiping the liquid out of her eyes, Crystal sees Shelina lying down by her side, with her greyish eyes staring at her with dread, before looking at something behind the dark-haired. When Crystal turns around, she wants to throw up:

Lynn Williams's body, a notorious Westsider, lies on the ground, drained of all blood.

And in the room, Christen Press had just collapsed.