(44) DUNORSKY FOR THE WIN

Crystal's eyes open after three days in a coma. 

The blinding light of the sun coming through the windows into the hospital room would prevent her from opening her eyes all at once - therefore, she had to take her time, gradually grasping more and more of the scene. It must be the early morning, as the lights were still clear. Unable to move, Crystal would just look around, until a warm and fuzzy feeling takes over her whole body.

Next to her, with her eyes closed and deeply asleep, was Shelina, lying down, her fingers entangled with Crystal's. 

Cracking a smile, the dark-haired enjoys this moment of pure happiness and calmness, because she knows they never last: when she is finally able to move her arm, she wraps it around Shelina's shoulders, letting go of her hand. This causes the blonde to groan softly, still sound asleep.

When Shelina wraps her arm around Crystal's waist, the dark-haired cannot help but melt to her touch. She knows Shelina was the witch's heir, and somehow their relationship was impossible - but still, she couldn't wipe those feelings away, and while everybody around them are dying, she wants to make the most of being still alive with someone she loves.

Crystal leans forward and kisses Shelina's forehead, which causes the blonde to open her eyes widely, before she sits down on the bed, an expression of embarrassment and deep happiness taking over her face at the same time. 

"Oh my God, you're awake!" Shelina exclaims, tears of joy rolling down her cheeks. As Crystal's eyes soften, the blonde blurts out, embarrassed: "Sorry, I don't know why I'm crying, it's just... I thought I harmed you, and I could never have forgiven myself if it was the case... 'Cause you mean so much to me, Crys, a-a-and-"

But Crystal doesn't let her finish.

"I am in love with you" she whispers, her eyes torn by emotion.

Shelina abruptly freezes, her big blue eyes going wide.

"Y-y-you a-are?" she asks as a reflex, truly amazed. As Crystal nods her head with a smile on her lips, the other girl continues: "B-but I'm the witch's heir, a-and I'm just not sure how I am affecting you : I-I mean, you were in a coma for a few days, a-a-and now-"

"I don't care if you're the witch's heir" Crystal interrupts her, longingly staring at the girl, her emotions translated by her eyes. As Shelina frowns, confused, she continues: "Curses are meant to be broken, and you're worth every risk."

Sighing in relief, Shelina just leans in as a response, kissing the other girl softly, her hands caressing Crystal's jaw at the same time. After a while, she presses her forehead against hers, letting the feelings softly unfold. 

As Crystal starts smiling uncontrollably, Shelina seemed deeply serious all of a sudden.

"W-what's wrong, did I-" she starts, but is unable to finish, as Shelina says:

"I am in love with you, too"

And when Shelina's smile brighten the whole room, the two lovers kiss again longingly, with all the passion that has been accumulating for months. 

They were aware of the risks - but their love was stronger than any obstacle, or so they thought...

***

Tobin's eyes are wide open.

"What do you mean 'you saw her ghost'?" she exclaims, pointing at an unconscious Kristie whose heartbeat was still monitored by the machines around her. As Christen rolls her eyes - she had explained the episode outside her family's shop about fifty times already - as Tobin continues on the same tone: "This doesn't make any sense: she ain't even dead!"

"Few things make sense in this city lately" Christen points out, before sitting down on one of the chairs present in the hospital room. 

Tobin sighs, before looking Kristie's way. Her sister Sam was by her side, holding on to her hand, conducting some kind of prayer - although she hadn't prayed for years, thinking it wouldn't save anyone. 

But Tobin knew it was going to take more than prayers to wake Kristie up. 

"I knew this shady doctor's pills were bad news" Sam comments in between two prayers, shaking her head.

Christen immediately freezes.

"What doctor?"

"I don't know, some woman who pretended to help my sister with her headaches" Sam explains, rolling her eyes. 

Christen turns to Tobin, before saying:

"It's Naeher - the doctor that tortured me to find out more about my powers" and, then, she walks toward Krisite's bed, putting her hand on Sam's shoulder, before adding: "Do you know where the pills are?"

"Sure" Sam lets out, before pointing at Krisite's bag, "should be there, just like her whole life anyway."

Without another word, Christen grabs the medication, before leaving the room, quickly followed by Tobin, which left the Mewis sisters alone. 

While her sister still has her eyes closed, Sam starts tearing up, her face buried on Kristie's stomach, just like when they were younger.

After a few minutes, she starts talking nervously:

"Hi, Kratcheeta, it's your annoying little sister, Sammy. I know you're a true drama queen, so maybe in order for you to wake up, you need to hear something dramatic enough. I mean, I wouldn't mind sharing something about me with you, 'cause even if we don't tell each other that too often, I love you."

She takes a break, as Kristie seems far from waking up. 

Sighing, Sam declares:

"So, lately, I feel like my whole life's been turned upside down. Remember how you always tease me with Abby, and how you think we're soulmates or something? Well, yesterday I kissed her, and you're right. But something else happened: I think I am in love with two girls at the same time. I think... I want a three-way relationship, can you imagine dad's face if I told him that?"

Laughing softly, on the verge of tears, Sam realises this isn't enough to wake her sister up. Little did she know that, just outside the room, standing with flowers, was Abby, who wanted to show support to the blonde. 

But she never walked inside the room, thinking the timing was wrong - she really needed to figure her heart out first.