(33) ONLY INCHES AWAY

The next day, Crystal had trouble concentrating on anything else than those two big and beautiful blue eyes with greyish tones inside of them: she could barely sleep, thinking of Shelina the entire time. 

Nevertheless, the hardest part was to sit in the same room than she is, seeing her trying to make eye contact from times to times, which Crystal completely forbids: the brunette wants answers she cannot give her, although she was dying to tell her everything and just do something about how she feels toward her. Instead, she was sitting there, trying to concentrate on her stupid math lesson. 

When the school bell rings, Crystal exits the classroom immediately, avoiding Shelina yet once again. She reaches a quiet spot near a tree in the school's yard, avoiding at the same time Kelley and Julie, who had been wanting to talk to her about their drug business - but Crystal had other things more important in mind. As she gets lost in her thoughts, trying to figure out how the Salem Witch Trials could be connected to the supernatural events at Sunnyvale, someone sits across from her.

Mapi Leòn seems quite angry and concerned.

"You didn't call" she coldly says.

Crystal sighs.

"Sorry, something came up, and-"

"I don't care about your excuses" Mapi hisses, before looking around, shaking her head in anger. As Crystal remains silent, she adds: "All I want is for us to focus on Christen, can you do that?"

Feeling like a terrible friend, Crystal nods her head, beaten. 

Their road to the hospital, during which Mapi was driving her 1957 Corvette like a mad woman, was deadly silent: Crystal could tell Mapi was both angry at her and terribly worried about Christen's fate. Obviously, Crystal couldn't tell the other girl about what - or rather, who - was in her mind at the moment, especially since Mapi isn't exactly a peaceful and neutral person: she is in an open feud with Kelley, so Crystal couldn't invest herself too much into this partnership.

Once Mapi parked her Corvette outside the hospital's back door, Crystal immediately saw the imposing security guard at the secret entrance. As the dark-haired was about to warn the Spanish, the latter just walks up to the guy and slips a slice of US Dollars bank tickets - around 200$ cash - into the guy's hand. Frowning, Crystal watches in disbelief as the security guard lets them through. 

As the blonde seemed to find that normal, Crystal stops her and asks:

"What the hell was that? And what do you think we're doing here? Breaking in a hospital can be very problem-"

"Chill out, Dunny: my old man owns the place - I mean, most people working there are corrupt - so we better hurry and find out where Christen is hidden."

"Well.. I don't think we need to find her anymore..." Crystal whispers, her eyes set on something on the other side of the hallway. 

Indeed, two tall men were holding one of Christen's arms each, as the dark-haired couldn't seem to move and was unconscious. As soon as they see Mapi Leòn, the two men just remain still, as Mapi wraps her strong arm around Christen's waist, as she is carrying her in princess-mode right now. 

Before they get out, Crystal grabs Christen's hand, and she sees everything that happened to her...

"Let's get her out of there and find somewhere safe..." she then orders, petrified.

***

"Hi, I just got Crystal's call" Abby exclaims, storming into the room where she was supposed to meet with Sam and Tierna in their usual spot at the library. Realising that only one of them was here - Sam - she frowns and asks: "Where's Tierna?"

Sam nods.

Abby immediately knows what it is all about: she is conscious of how frightening of a situation her own was - she didn't know if she truly was Satan's heir as Grandma Press was so convinced of, but she certainly knew that she was somehow connected and in charge of those creepy shadows that are floating around town killing teenagers. She couldn't be mad at Tierna for being creeped out by what Abby was.

But still, she was disappointed not to see the brunette - although Sam's company brought her comfort. 

"You gotta give her some time, Abs" Sam immediately says, knowing very well what the blonde was thinking.

Abby frowns: obviously, she was surprised that, yet another time, Sam was able to know what she was thinking even before she knows it herself. Blushing a little - and getting highly uncomfortable in the process - the blonde sits down next to the tall girl.

Sighing, she then asks:

"How come you haven't run away, then?"

"Abby, you're no monster" Sam immediately reassures her, grabbing her shoulder with her strong hand, staring right into Abby's eyes. The latter freezes, as she goes on: "Because we don't fully understand how you're related to the shadows, doesn't mean you are a different person than before: I know you wanna do good, and I know there's just no way you'd be the cause of all those deaths. Okay?"

"But-"

Sam rolls her eyes at the girl.

When Sam grabs Abby's hand, an electric feeling goes both way, inside the two blondes' bodies, as they catch eyes with surprise. 

Abby would've lied if she said she hadn't been dreaming about Sam's lips or bright smile - just like she had been dreaming of Tierna's deep eyes and thin yet strong body. 

Sam would've lied if she denied her very obvious ancient feelings for her best friend, whom she has known for years back. 

At that exact moment, however, they realise what the other feels. 

"Uh..." Abby whispers, setting her jaw, frowning. 

But Sam doesn't wait. 

When she puts her hand on Abby's jaw, softly caressing it as well as her cheek, both have shivers down their spines. Sam's finger then slips to Abby's lips, that she is now biting, with no thoughts of her current boyfriend, nor Sam's for that matter: everything that existed was that strong feeling growing inside of her, as if she had no choice but to lean in when the other girl does.

"S-Sam, I-I-I can't-" Abby weakly whispers, her eyes closed already, as her soft yet burning breath was brushing Sam's face.

As Sam and Abby are only inches from kissing each other as passionately as they wanted to, the door opens and Tierna appears, catching them in a rather steamy situation.

Jumping away from each other, Sam and Abby both get on their feet, while Tierna just painfully watches them, setting her jaw: only now did she realise that the weird sensation appearing within her soul when she was around Abby was true affection and, somehow, love. Seeing her with Sam would just destroy her.

Nevertheless, she stammers:

"Uh, sorry..."

"No, Tierna, wait-" both Abby and Sam say, as the brunette leaves the room.

Abby follows quickly after her, but Tierna is gone already, so she just keeps on running down the street, straight to her house.

It is when it hits her: I am in love with two people equally and simultaneously...