Mark of Possession

"V-Vanitas," Noé stuttered, looking utterly horrified.

"What is it? What's the problem? Spit it out!" Vanitas snapped.

"Y-your neck. I left um a mark... a mark of possession..." Noé buried his head in his hands. "I didn't mean to!"

"You did?" Vanitas glanced down at his neck as best he could. The angle made it too difficult to see the whole mark but he did catch sight of a tell-tale purple that definitely wasn't a bruise. "So you did. Geez, first Jeanne, now you?"

"Please forgive me, Vanitas! I had no intention of doing that! It's bad enough I had to drink your blood-"

"Which I gave you permission to do."

"-I also left a mark! Your blood was so delicious I forgot myself. That's no excuse but-"

Vanitas sighed before grabbing Noé's collar and dragging him down to a more manageable level. Noé made a noise of surprise and protest but Vanitas ignored him, instead ripping Noé's collar open and immediately latching onto Noé's neck with his teeth. Noé grunted in pain, Vanitas probably using a little more force than necessary. After a moment Vanitas drew away, examining the darkening bruise with satisfaction.

"There. We're even now."

"Huh?" Noé felt his entire face lighting up bright red.

"That's my mark of possession on you. It's not permanent like yours," Vanitas rubbed idly at the left side of his neck, "but it should do. I can always give you another if that one fades."

"Huh?" Noé's voice cracked.

Vanitas smirked, "What? You thought you could claim me as yours and I wouldn't return the favour? What was it you said to me some time ago? 'I'll never set you free'?"

"You-! Vanitas, you should be furious with me!"

"Why? I don't mind having your mark on me. I think it's endearing that you couldn't control yourself. It's not totally unexpected anyway with how much you talked about my blood. I would have been more surprised if you didn't mark me."

"It was wrong for me to do it without asking!"

"Maybe," Vanitas conceded. "However, I also marked you without permission so we're even. Get it? In future we can be more careful. No use feeling guilty right now. I do hope your mark isn't ugly though, I'll have to check in the mirror later."

"You're impossible."

"Impossible and yours according to this mark."

"Please be quiet," Noé said, hiding his blush behind his hand and looking down at the ground.

"Don't be acting shy now!" Vanitas grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers. "We'll have to work on this. Who'd guess that a man willing to leave his mark after his first drink would be acting like this?"

"You're just shameless."

"Aren't I more fun that way? You have enough shame for the both of us."