Unrequited Love

I'm going to be really mean to Noé and Vanitas in this and cause them a lot of emotional pain. So be warned that I'm in the mood to make people feel awful.

---------------------------------------------------------

Vanitas laughed. No, cackled in Noé's face. It was a joyful, sadistic sound that rang out through the sleeping city of Paris. It chimed in Noé's ears, drowning out everything except the sound of his heart furiously pumping blood.

"I can't believe you!" Vanitas continued to cackle in delight.

"I don't understand," Noé responded, almost whispering.

"Then allow me to explain," Vanitas grinned like a Cheshire cat, "you have done quite possibly the most idiotic thing in history!"

"How? I thought that telling you would... help," Noé murmured.

"Help? You really are mad Noé. Telling me that you love me has only put me in a position of power over you. Did I not tell you that I'm not interested in the kind of people who would fall for me?"

"I didn't expect you to return my feelings but-"

Noé was cut off. "But you thought saying it out loud would make you feel more secure? That getting it off your chest would allow you to feel better?" Vanitas's eyes sparkled with cruel mirth, "Love is not something you should confess without thinking my dear Noé. Love is weakness and unless you can handle having it torn to shreds in front of you then it's best to keep it to yourself."

"You always say that you love Jeanne though don't you?" Noé asked in confusion.

"You're right of course but there's a difference there. While I do truly love Jeanne I don't want her to requite it and I am always the one in control of our relationship. While you may deny it Noé I know you are a hopeless romantic and deep down in your sad, little heart you thought there was a chance I might reciprocate. It's pathetic."

"Why are you saying such things Vanitas?" Noé took a step back in horror.

"Why?" Vanitas stepped much closer to Noé and leaned in close to his ear, "Because. It's. Fun."

"You're a horrible person Vanitas," Noé pushed him away.

"And yet you love me! So, what does that make you?" Vanitas continued to smile.

"You think I want to love you?! I wish with every fibre of my being that I didn't Vanitas, especially now! I wish I could love Domi, then things would be simple, but the universe has played the cruelest joke on me! I would be okay if you had politely denied me but instead, in all your sadistic glory, you decided to mock me! You decided to mock me for something I barely understand and definitely don't want!" Noé bared his fangs.

"Noé," Vanitas tutted, "your anger is understandable but it's not my fault. You know me well enough to predict that this would be my response."

"You always know exactly what to say to push the blame onto someone else, don't you?" Noé growled, "I'm leaving. If I see you tomorrow don't you dare bring this up."

Noé stalked off, probably to sleep and try to forget about his interaction with Vanitas. They would continue to help one another after this, Noé couldn't exactly abandon him, but Vanitas had put a significant strain on an already shaky relationship.

Vanitas watched as Noé retreated, walking fast, his stomping down with barely contained frustration. The second Noé was out of sight Vanitas sunk to the ground and let his smile fade away. He was surprised that Noé hadn't cried, almost disappointed that his cruelty hadn't effected the vampire more. If Noé had cried it would have made him feel as low as he deserved.

The sad truth of the matter was that Vanitas didn't dislike Noé. Vanitas didn't understand love completely, although he pretended to, but whatever it was he felt for Noé was different to anything else he had ever experienced. Vanitas didn't understand it and he hated it. Wished the feeling would go away, wished Noé would stop barging further into his life.

Vanitas already had Jeanne, he didn't need another vampire to share complicated feelings with. Vanitas knew that, to some degree, what he felt for Jeanne was closer to lust than love but he was not about to admit that to Noé. The idea of loving something, truly loving something, scared him witless, even more so if the love was returned.
Vanitas did not think he deserved love, especially not from someone like Noé, or even someone like Jeanne. That was why he had responded so scornfully to Noé's confession and why he had sunken to the floor immediately after Noé left. Because he didn't want it. He didn't deserve it.

Vanitas' heart ached in an incomprehensible way he had never experienced prior. Vanitas hated himself. He hated himself for whatever it was he felt towards Noé, hated himself for rejecting Noé, hated himself for everything he was. He had no idea if he was in love, but he knew he cared. He didn't like hurting Noé, he wanted Noé to be happy. And in the end being without Vanitas would make him happy. Because Vanitas could never be someone worth the love that Noé could provide.

Vanitas wanted so badly to admit to Noé that he lied. To admit that Noé wasn't a fool and that his love meant the world to Vanitas. But he wouldn't. Couldn't. Vanitas wanted more than anything to have someone who he loves love him back but at the same time he found the idea abominable.

Both Noé and Vanitas were left in despair that day. One of them because they spoke too freely and left themselves vulnerable too often. The other because they lied too frequently and refused to let their guard down. Their differences, the things they loved most about each other, were ultimately their downfall.

---------------------------------------------------------

I hope that made you feel upset. I was originally only going to make Noé feel terrible but then I decided spreading the despair over both of them was much better. Having neither of them happy is so much more fun. I hope you enjoyed.