Chapter 7

Lexi: I will hear you out

Lexi: I will hear you out. But we're not getting back together.

I chuckle at her text and send back where she can collect her tickets at will call. I'd prefer to put her in the wives and girlfriends luxury box but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I'm just happy she agreed to meet me. That in itself was a long shot. 

She seems very assured that we won't be getting back together. It's a good thing I have a ton of confidence for the both of us that we will, in fact, being dating again. 

I text Adrianna and let her know Lexi is coming to the game and ask her to get tickets behind the visitors dugout for her. I also ask my coach if he can put me in the lineup tonight so I don't get too cold with my on-base streak. He looked at me like I was crazy since I've never cared about records or streaks but just nodded and changed the lineup. Naturally I don't care about it but he doesn't need to know that I want to be in because the my ex-girlfriend is coming to the game tonight and I want her to see me look good on the diamond tonight. 

Is that insane? Probably. 

Do I care? Absolutely not.

I walk into the clubhouse and high-five a couple of my teammates before I set my bag down in front of my locker. 

"Hey Young. You want in next hand?" asks José, our second baseman. He gestures towards the table where our other two teammates, Alex and Kris, are counting out their poker chips. 

I shake my head. "Not tonight buddy. I have a couple things I need to do first." I grab my phone and scroll through my contacts until I find Adrianna and hit call. 

She picks up on the second ring, sounding irritated. "What do you need?" 

"Well hello how are you? Hi I'm great, thanks for asking!" I reply back sarcastically. 

"Now that the formalities are out of the way, what do you need?" she says, dryly.

"Lexi agreed to go out with me after the game." I say, pulling my laptop out of my bag. I set it down on the table closest to me and turn it on. 

"Should I jump up and down and start cheering?" 

I roll my eyes. "You know you could at least pretend to be a little bit happy for me. I need to make a reservation somewhere around here. Somewhere nice."

She laughs. "Okay I can look for some hotels around the area that the team isn't staying at." 

"No. I don't want a hotel room, I want a restaurant. A hotel seems a little forward don't you think?" I ask, pulling up Google and searching for places with good breakfast food. As much as I want to get her in bed, now is not that time. Besides, Lexi loves pancakes and I want her to be in a good mood when we talk. 

My teammates start whooping and hollering when I say hotel. I wave them off and tell them to shut up before returning my attention back to computer.