Chapter 31

"Your scans look good Alexis

"Your scans look good Alexis. If all goes well when I check you out tomorrow morning, I'll discharge you in the afternoon. How does that sound?" the doctor says, marking a note down on my chart.

I give him a small smile, knowing he tried his best but that I won't be released today. "Thank you for caring for me, I appreciate it."

"Of course. If you need anything, please give the nurse a call. Get some rest." he says, setting the clipboard on the front of my hospital bed.

I shift to my side, trying not to get upset that I'll be missing Mason's first playoff game tonight. I had begged and pleaded with the doctor yesterday to release me today if my scans came back normal. He said brain injuries are complicated and that the extra day in the hospital would be beneficial to make sure I had made a full recovery. Naturally, Mason and my parents agreed with the doctor, sucking the fight right out of me.

All I want to do is fall asleep, but my phone has been vibrating on the table next to me bed all morning. Texts from Brooke, Gia, Kaylee, my family, Mason, and my co-workers have been pouring in since I got here almost a week ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for their well wishes and support, but I just want to go home and be left alone.

I'm about to nod off when I hear a tap-tap on the door. "Knock knock!" Brooke says, cheerfully and walks in. "How is my favorite person today?"

I smile and shift to sit upright. The blanket falls off of my arm, exposing the IV hooked into it. I choke down a swallow then quickly cover it, a rush of heat running to my cheeks. Did I mention I HATE needles? The first time I woke up and saw it I passed out immediately. Ever since then, I keep it covered, trying to pretend it isn't there.

"Ready to go home." I say, peering at the brown bag in her hand. "What's that?"

She beams at me and holds out the bag. "Lunch courtesy of me so you don't have eat the food here. No offense."

"None taken. What did you get me?"

She sets the bag on the table next to my bed and starts digging through it. "Well, I wasn't sure what you would be in the mood for or how hungry you are, so I got two things."

She pulls out a massive green leaf salad from the local salad bar near our office and a bowl, yes literally a bowl, of Caesar dressing. "I got you a salad if you wanted to be healthy with all the veggie, chicken, and fixings. And extra dressing of course."

I don't think that massive side of Caesar is healthy but I'm not complaining. I watch her hands dive back into the bag and pull out two cases of black boxes. "Or if you want to pig out and watch Mason's game together, I got us wings! Honey BBQ and Garlic Parmesan for you, Mild and Honey Mustard for me."

My mouth immediately starts to water at the smell of the wings. "Oh my god you are the best friend in the whole world. Wings first, salad for the game, please."