Chapter 30

"Yes, but when can she go home?" I press the doctor, teetering on the edge of being nice and an asshole

"Yes, but when can she go home?" I press the doctor, teetering on the edge of being nice and an asshole. I don't care, I just want Lexi to come home. 

"I'm sorry Mr. Young, but you're not her next of kin. Her parents are and I can only speak to them. I'm doing you a favor right now by updating you on her condition." The doctor says, flipping through the charts on his clipboard. "I need to go call Mr. and Mrs. Olson. Excuse me."

Frustrated, I flop back down in the hospital chair and text Gia and Kaylee the update. As soon as I heard Lexi passed out and hit her head, I met with the communications team to craft a statement to the press on why I'd be missing the rest of the series. My club manager understood and so did my teammates but the media has been hounding me. Social media and the fans didn't take to kindly to me skipping either but I could care less. Fans act like they're allowed to have full access over the athletes when that's the furthest thing from the truth. After I told my teammates I would see them for the playoffs, they all gave me their prayers for her. Then I got on the next flight to Los Angeles and rushed to the hospital. That was four days ago, and Lexi still hasn't woken up. 

She fell backwards and not a single one of the vultures interrogating her even attempted to catch her. She smacked the back of her head off the ground, fracturing part of her skull, leading her brain to swell. Brooke called an ambulance and they rushed her to the hospital where the doctor put her in an induced coma to help the brain begin to heal. Her condition hasn't worsened or gotten better. I ran in, found her room, and broke down. My perfect angel had a feeding tube down her throat, a breathing mask on, and an IV in her arm. Her face had a slight bruising and the machine next to her beeped with every breath. 

"She's going to wake up soon." Adrianna says, reaching for my hand. "She has too."

I share a tight smile with her and squeeze her hand, then get up and walk to the front desk. The young blonde nurse smiles at me, greeting me and asking how she can help. I ask her for the one place that could maybe help fix all of this. She gives me directions and points me down the long white hallway and says to make a right. I thank her, then walk towards my destination. 

I round the bend and walk through the doorway. Candles light the sides, illuminating the pews and massive wooden cross hanging on the wall at the end of the room. Slowly, I walk down the aisle, a million emotions floating through me. I'm more of a spiritual guy than religious but at this point I need try anything. I slide into the first pew and bow my head. 

I know I have zero right to be here when I'm not an avid churchgoer or praying person but you have to help Lexi. Her brain isn't reducing any of the swelling and she hooked up to a feeding tube. I need her to wake up. I need her blue eyes to open and I need to hear her infectious laugh. I need her to force me on five mile runs that I know I won't be able to keep up on. I just need her. Please don't take away the women who makes me a better man everyday. 

I lift my head, just now noticing the tears sliding down my cheeks. I let the sobs take over, my head falling into my hands while I sit there, helpless and useless. I can't do anything to make the situation better and that's the worse feeling in the world. A warm body slides next to me and an arm wraps around my shoulder, pulling me in.