Chapter 38

Giant's All-Star Mason Young lists penthouse for $1

Giant's All-Star Mason Young lists penthouse for $1.5 million, all signs point to him leaving the team in the offseason. 

I stare at the headline that popped up on my desktop and take a deep breath. We knew the media was going to go into a frenzy the minute he listed his place for sale. After we got past the disastrous not proposing part of our trip, we talked about him moving to Los Angeles, permanently. I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't accelerate at the thought of him living with me in my tiny 1,500 square foot apartment. It feels real, like we're in a seriously committed relationship. I keep waiting for his commitment issues to appear, scare him off, and leave me heartbroken in the dust, but he's already packed his stuff and has a moving truck on the way to my place. 

So why do I feel anxious? 

Are we moving too fast? We've only been together for about five months after a long break. I rub my hand over my forehead, trying to rationally think this through. I love him more than anything else in the world, but it all seems too good to be true. I mean the man I knew in college cared more about baseball and winning than he did about us. But now he cares more about me and our future than to stay with his team?

"You're spiraling. Talk to me." Brooke says, barging into my office. "I've been trying to get your attention for the last few minutes but you're deep in your own head."

I sit back in my chair, tipping my head back to rest on my chair. "Are we crazy? Are we moving too fast?"

She sets a folder down on my desk for the meeting we have with our head boss later today and sits in the seat across from me. She stays quiet, not answering my question. I knew it, we were moving too fast. 

"Do you remember the first thing you said to me when you arrived to Los Angeles?" she asks, crossing her legs. 

I rack my brain trying to think back that far. I remember I was nervous as hell and sweating so bad I thought I would leave pit stains on my black dress shirt. "Uh, where's the bathroom?" I guess.

She laughs. "No. When I asked you why you moved to Los Angeles from Florida, you told me 'love makes you do irrational things'. And I thought oh she followed her boyfriend here. But I was wrong."

I pick my head up and turn towards her. "What's your point?"

"You're trying to rationalize your relationship with Mason right now. Sure in a new relationship, this would be moving too fast. But it's not new, it's picking back up where it left off." 

I ponder what she said, thinking about how my feelings haven't changed in the time we spent apart. "It doesn't make sense." 

"Well that's love. It's not supposed to make sense. Are you comfortable with him?" she asks.

I nod my head. "Yes of course, he's my best friend." 

"Then what are you worrying about. He's head over heels in love with you. He's moving across the state to be with you." she bursts, and then it hits her. "That's why you're worried. You're worried he loves you more than you love him. Because you chose yourself and he chose you."