VOLLEYBALL | XXXV

INT. GYMNASIUM — AFTERNOON

To KOYAMA's surprise, a familiar face, clad in a white jersey sporting the number 11, walked into the gym. USHIJIMA WAKATOSHI was Shiratorizawa Academy's former Ace. Now, he was part of the Schweiden Adlers. The olive eyed man had the same stoic expression, and KOYAMA couldn't believe her eyes, so much so that she even rubbed them to make sure she was seeing things right.

Upon doing so, and regaining a clear sight, KOYAMA's eyes met USHIJIMA's. The tall and well-built man didn't even look as surprised as KOYAMA did, and the brunette felt momentarily stupefied.

USHIJIMA raised a hand and waved at KOYAMA. The brunette's surprise diminished, and a tender smile reflecting unadulterated happiness replaced her initial reaction.

ATSUMU
(Mega confused)
You know
Ushijima?

KOYAMA
(Giddy)
Yeah, I do!
I attended
Shiratorizawa.

ATSUMU
(Raises both eyebrows).
But what was that
grin all about?

KOYAMA
Oooohhhhhoooo

KOYAMA
You see, I may
or may not have
had a teensy
weensy
l i t t l e
crush
on UshiUshi.

ATSUMU
(Eyebrow twitching).
Ushi...ushi...WOMAN!
YA HAVE A WEIRD TASTE
IN MEN. Ya scare me.

KOYAMA
Hey, UshiUshi may
not have a sense of
humor, and can come
off as pretty rude,
but whoever ends up
marrying him is gonna
have nothing but
honesty.

KOYAMA
That man can't lie or
smile to save his life.

ATSUMU
I mean yer
not wrong.

KOYAMA
Plus, ya can't fear
being cheated on 'cause
he basically lives, and
breathes volleyball
24/7.

KOYAMA
Man, maybe I do have
issues. Should I stop
liking volleyball men?

ATSUMU
(Laughs).
That's your
problem
not mine.

KOYAMA
Hmm...maybe my next stop
should be baseball.

ATSUMU
Why baseball?

KOYAMA
(makes an s shape
to outline her
hips).

ATSUMU
(Smacks Koyama
upside the head).
Dude, yer so weird.

KOYAMA
(Defensive)
I'm not!

ATSUMU
Are too.

KOYAMA
Am not!

ATSUMU
Are too!~

KOYAMA
(Frowns)
Am not! Atsumu-San
shut up or I'll drop
kick you!

ATSUMU
Do it!
(Cackles).

KOYAMA
(Grabs Atsumu by the
neck of his shirt).

OSAMU
Oh, I found
ya two.

KOYAMA
(Frozen).
OSAMU-SAN?!

ATSUMU
(internally crying).
'Samu, waaaaah.

OSAMU
The game's about
to start.

KOYAMA
(Looks at the court).
Oh, you're right.

The referee blows the whistle, and the game begins.

After a while, the score board still marks the numbers 0 to 0. The tension in the air is broken by a sudden wave of nervous hoots and encouraging chanting for the College team as the setter of the Adler's sets the ball.

USHIJIMA's presence on the court is, without a doubt, highlighted with confidence as he spikes the ball and scores the first point after an intense rally.

The first set of the game continues with much struggle from both teams, each with an equal chance of turning the tide and scoring the advantage point for their team.

An intense stare is shared by SAKUSA and USHIJIMA on the court as they cross paths. The net, the only obstacle between them. Their teammates equally share an odd feeling of foreboding.

It didn't come to a surprise that neither of the top aces would give into the pressure. The hunger to win wasn't greedy, much less fueled by inferiority, it was simply due to the enjoyment of having a chance to improve.

The next set began with a roar of the crowd. The college team's setter glanced at SAKUSA, and with a knowing glint in his emerald eyes, he let SAKUSA grasp the plan immediately.

Despite not being the one to spike, and score the ball past Sokolov Tatsuto and Hirugami Fukuro, the Adler's middle blockers, SAKUSA felt satisfied with their expressions of bafflement.

The game continued with more twists and turns, but eventually, the Adler's won.